Chapter 2: Cracking Radio

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I heard Miss Hollow. Those terrible monsters have started to make appearance again" said Madam Spite, the usual expression of disgust on her face "We should pray that another war doesn't happen again dear" she added and the other women agreed, nodding with their head.

Lily remembered about that war as she had read it in a book. It happened about three hundred years ago and it was called The Giant War, or the Bloodshed War. The book, where she found the information, stated that even if the war was won, the losses were incomparable. Thousands of elves, humans, daemons, dragons, gryphons and jozus died in that battle, leaving lots of people grieving behind.

The Giant War was in the end, just a giant massacre, hence the other name.

Years ago, some battles had started again and her father, who was a simple warrior, was called to the arms. He went to contrast a small battalion of Abaddòn that had tried to take over a little island, near the front, that hold a strategic position. They had won because fortunately there weren't a lot of them, but her father perished in that fight. There were a few more battles in the following years but in the end, the battle was won again, this time without a lot of losses.

The radio started to crack again, shutting up the women that were always thirsty for some gossip.

"My dearest audience!" said a feminine nasal voice "It's my greatest *crack* pleasure to inform you to the biggest news in *crack* the entire century!!"

Lily stopped with the other kids the work to listen to this unusual report.

"The director of the James Churchill Academy has just informed us *crack* that the great seven *crack* Legend Dragons with all the other dragons will tomorrow, on the *crack* recurrence that happen every five years, leave the school in search of their riders! You heard me right! The Seven Dragons, the legendary dragons! My *crack* fellow what a news!" exclaimed the reporter excitedly.

The housekeepers all froze looking at the radio, and Lily also looked at the device astonished. It was unheard that any human had ever ridden such a powerful dragon.

"Those awful creatures" said suddenly Madam Spite, looking with disgust at the poor radio "It's all because of their stupid war that people continue to die!" she said, while the other women nodded stupidly "if they didn't exist I bet we would all be more happy!"

Lily snorted quietly.

Yeah, more happy to be dead - she thought giving her back to them and resuming quietly her work.

The radio continued to crack more news on the greatness of such events, but Lily stopped listening. Her painful wish of childhood, to become a rider and fights with dragons, was in a way still a fresh wound. A reminder to not let hopes high ever again.

"Hey! Wretch!" Madam Spite shout.

Lily sighted heavily and turned to see what the reincarnated devil wanted. The cold woman had given her hard times since she was left there, calling her all sort of names. Wretch however, remained her favourite one.

She always made her do all kind of hard and crazy jobs, like the time she made her clean the roof of the Orphanage. A mission that had almost killed her as she had slipped on an old tile and almost fallen down, but maybe it was her real intent from the beginning.

The older woman had always hated her for some bizarre reason, while she remained sweet and caring with the other orphans.

"Did you do everything, you ungrateful brat?" she spat with her crow like voice.

"Yes, Ma'am" replied Lily quietly, swallowing down an angry remark. It wouldn't do her any good to engage a fight with her.

"Then get out of my sight. You still need to hang out the laundry" she said, sneering at her.