Chapter 2: Cracking Radio

"Night is not something to endure until dawn.
It is an element like wind or fire.

Darkness is its own kingdom;
it moves to its own laws,
and many living things dwell in it"

 ― Patricia A. McKillip 

Finally, the rain had begun to slow down, and little by little, she felt her eyes grow heavier.

Eventually, with relief, she succumbed to a dreamless sleep.

She already knew that tomorrow would be a bloody mess.

 The next day had been completely exhausting as she expected, and it was only the early afternoon

Lily had to wash away dirt months and months old from the cuisine, making her almost throw up in disgust for the unidentifiable things found around and their smell. The beds had seemed to be infinite and it was almost a mission impossible with all the kids running and playing around like wild beasts.

By the end of the tasks, she couldn't even feel her hands and arms, and her back was screaming like a madman, begging to some relief. The only thing that remained to do was to collect all the plates on the dining hall after lunch, and then maybe go thankfully to rest for a few hours, until it would be time to cook dinner.

She started to collect the dishes, while some useless housekeepers remained to chat in front of the radio, doing nothing as usual.

Nothing except gossip of course.

The radio was the only way to know what was going on outside the Orphanage and it wasn't even that useful as the signal came and went. They seemed happy to leave all the jobs to Lily and the other few old kids, while the children went out to play in the backyard. They were enjoying the beautiful day after a week of rain, running around and chasing each other, carefree as always.

She envied their naive nature. Their innocence in thinking that everything was alright, while in reality it really wasn't. She looked outside for a moment and saw three boys running with an old ball, half-deflated and with skin hanging barely. They were all sweaty and dirty, with mud everywhere, but they were sporting huge grins. Groaning to herself, she instantly knew would be the one that would clean the clothes.

Lily breathed out in an attempt to not get irritated. They were kid after all. They were enjoying their childhood and getting dirty was a pretty and funny way to do it.

"Have you heard Madam Jones?" she heard a housekeeper ask the eldest, an ugly and mean woman with seagulls instead of eyebrows "Those awful creatures has started to return and kill people on the front" she said, making some gesture to emphasize.