She was back downstairs within ten minutes with a cool drink in her hand from the kitchen and her USB full of all her favourite (though pirated) songs, ready to start her weekend.

Sometimes, Esther liked to pretend that she was a famous superstar that had the world at her feet, especially when Kendrick Lamar's DNA came on. She'd always pretend she was the star performing at a sold-out stadium in front of millions of adoring fans.

Her mic for that day was the old TV remote. She paraded around the living room with the thing in her hand, eyes closed and delivering every line of that song with perfection. To this day, Kendrick Lamar's Damn was his best. She never gave up an opportunity to blast every song from the old DVD player through the USB it was loaded onto, especially on Fridays, when she would be rid of school for two-and-a-half days.

Her party of one was interrupted abruptly -- the music coming to halt before she was prepared.

"Heyy!" She said, turning to face her older cousin Mordecai, who held the DVD remote in his hand. There was a slight grin on his face and Esther wanted to do was wipe it off.

"Sorry, I had to. You're so funny to watch when you're like this." Mordecai said.

Esther only scowled in response.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm going to Rebekkah's for Shabbat dinner so you don't have to dish up for me tonight."

Esther's scowl morphed into a grin.

"Are you ever gonna make a move on that girl?"

"Hadassah, Rebekkah is just a friend."

"And I'm Beyoncè," Esther replied, playfully rolling her eyes. "You go to her house every Friday for dinner and you get all dressed up for her too."

"For Shabbat. Nothing more!" Mordecai said, his voice rising slightly in pitch.

Esther loved to tease him on his crush on Rebekkah, who lived three houses away. He loved to deny it, stating that she was a fellow believer in Yahweh and that they helped each other in their faith -- yet even a blind fool could tell that his claims were only partially true. His desire for fellowship wasn't the only driving force for his dedication to his bond with the girl.

"Mhmm," Esther replied with her arms crossed over her chest and pouted her lips.

She found the effort Mordecai put into his Shabbat outfits rather endearing. That Friday, he was dressed in black slacks, a white button up that contrasted magnificently against his dark skin and had styled his long, heavy dreadlocks into a half-knot at the top of his head. His beard was neatly trimmed, his shoes were brightly polished. His blazer was draped around his right arm.

"There's still some time before sundown, Hadassah, do you like to join us?" Mordecai asked gently.

He noted the way the playfulness in her eyes all but melted away, and a hardness took over.

"Nah, I wouldn't wanna crowd you on your lil date." She said teasingly but Mordecai caught onto the underlying bitterness in her tone.

He sighed and relented.

"Will you be alright for the night?"

"Yes." She nodded and softened. "Enjoy Shabbat Cousin,"

"I will. Stay safe Hadassah." He said and nodded in her direction before leaving. He was the only person alive who still called her by her birth name and every time he did, it filled her with a bittersweet nostalgia for all she had lost.