A Perfect World -- Chapter 1

“Syn Sypozhnika and Doch Sypozhnika! Report to me at once!” The voice of the School Elder boomed throughout the building, urging faces to turn towards a small young man sitting at the front of the classroom. His pale face turned a vivid crimson as he hurriedly stood and scuttled out of the room to awed coos of “Ooh, Barely, what did you do?”

The boy hurried along the hall toward the stairs leading up to the surface where only the Elders and those holding appointments with them were allowed, his watery blue eyes to the floor, too preoccupied to hear the quickly approaching footsteps behind him. As such, he was so caught by surprise he yelped when he was yanked backwards by his long, silvery-blonde ponytail and pulled into a lung-emptying embrace.

            “…hello Sestra.” He mumbled through a mouthful of his older sister’s fluffy golden hair. His sister was a few years older than him, with a halo of golden blonde surrounding her head, barely held back by a brown hair band matching the fabric of her uniform, which she wore unbuttoned and messy. She was of average height, but still a good six inches taller than Barely. She released him and gave him a playful slap on the shoulder.

            “Stop it, Barely, you’re always too proper. Stop calling me sister and call me by my individual name like everyone else.”

            Barely sighed. “Okay…Bright.”

            Bright smiled. “That’s better. Now, do you have any idea why we’re being called?”

            “I’m not sure. Have…have I done anything to anger the Elders?” Barely whispered, his eyes becoming watery again.

            “No, no, no. You? Of course not,” Bright cooed, patting her little brother on the back as they walked. “You’re the most obedient person to the Elder’s rules as I’ve ever met. I, on the other hand, am probably in for a bit of a scolding.” She chuckled. Barely wondered to himself how someone could be so calm about such a thing. He had never gotten in trouble with any of the village authority figures. He always called people by their proper title, studied his father’s shoemaking craft for when his name would change from Syn Sypozhnika to Sapozhnik once his father became too old to work, and wore his uniforms the proper way, even at home where nobody could see. It terrified him and chilled his insides to think that he may have done something wrong.

            As the siblings scaled the creaky wooden stairway, the chill Barely felt inside was matched by the temperature in the hallway. He shivered, more in fear than in cold, and quelled the small feeling of anticipation at what the surface looked like. This is no time for that, He thought, mentally scolding himself. The Elders never call children to see them—this must be something important.

            Before he knew it, Barely and Bright had reached the doorway to the surface. Barely reached out a shaking hand and cautiously pushed open the heavy black wooden door. Inside was a small yet brilliantly decorated room, adorned in fabrics and woods in rich colors not found below the surface. A strange light in a brick-clad divot in the far wall illuminated the bookshelves lining every other wall, full of old, thick-looking tomes with odd and important-sounding titles. Barely and Bright were entranced by the light and the warmth emanating from it—there was nothing like this in the cement-walled rooms underground. The only light there came from bulbs lining the ceilings and the only warmth from vents along the walls.

            “Come, you two.” The same voice from before came from a plush-looking chair in the center of the room and startled Barely and Bright out of their awed stupor. They approached the voice with caution, both curious and a little fearful.

            The man in ownership of said voice smiled at them warmly when they stood in front of him. His hair looked like it had been drained of color, and his face had many wrinkles, something Barely and Bright had never seen before. As soon as a man’s hair became touched with grey or a woman gave birth to a male and female child, they were sent to the Elders where they were either made into one or given a new job above-ground.

            “Hello, children.” He greeted in a deep voice. “I’m sure you’re wondering why I brought you here.”

            Barely and Bright nodded, faces still tinged with wonder. The Elder gave an amused chuckle at their expressions.

            “Well, as you know, the other Elders and I are always looking out for the members of the village. We see all, hear all, and know all. We have been watching you two since you were very young, and we are of the opinion that you are suited to greater work than shoemaker and breeder.”

            Barely blinked slowly. “What…what does that mean for us?” He questioned in a voice that matched his size.

            “It means that we have a special mission for each of you, outside.”

“Outside?!” Bright exclaimed. “But no child’s ever been on the surface, let alone outside!”

            The School Elder grunted and stood laboriously. “That’s exactly why it’s so important that this be kept a secret. Okay?” He winked. Barely and Bright looked at each other excitedly and nodded.

            “Yes, of course.” They said in unison.