• 7 •

"thank you for the ride boss."

"I'm not your boss Jacqueline.".

"But you are a boss and that counts".

"Whatever you say Ms.Solorio" I said watching her as she got off the truck.

"Are you sure you don't want to go have breakfast?".

"Not today . . This whole Gustavo business has me a little down " she said peaking over at me.

"Maybe another day ! I definitely owe you".

"You don't owe me anything jaque. Don't worry about it".

"i do ! You've only saved me like . . Twice now ! " She said displaying her beautiful smile and big dimples.
We both heard the gate open and Jaqueline turned around and made eye contact with an older woman.

"That's my mom. Got to go . I've got some explaining to do." She said kind of dreading having to explain anything at all. I laughed at the way she scrunched up her nose and shrugged her shoulders almost throwing a mini tantrum.

"Buena suerte" I said laughing as she closed the door.

I wanted to stay and make sure everything was okay but I didn't want to overstep. She's a big girl and I'm positive she can handle talking to her mother alone. I made a u-turn on the end of Jaqueline's street and came back up the same way I came. She waved one last time as I drove away.
I was going to go eat breakfast with Jaqueline but my appetite was gone and despite my cool demeanor around Jaqueline I was heated. Not because she didn't accompany me to breakfast but because of what happened at the restaurant. I know very well Gustavo thinks that he has gotten away with treating Jaqueline like that but he's got another thing coming his way. They say blood is thicker than water but not with Gustavo. It gets pretty old when you continuously have to look over your shoulder to make sure your own cousin hasn't screwed you over yet. If I've spared him so many times it's because my tia would be devistated if anything happened to her baby boy. If I didn't love my aunt as much as I do , I would have murdered Gustavo the first time he f-cked me over. It's been a constant battle with Gustavo , he hates me for having more than him. He'd be alot farther in life if he actually used his brain and spoke to people right. You'd be surprised how far it'll get you. I'm just waiting on any excuse to get rid of him , and although it sounds a little harsh I don't care for him or his bullshit. It'd be quite easy for me to run down to the restaurant and embarrass him in front of all the employees when I kick his little fat ass , but that'd be to bold on my part. I want to defend Jaqueline but I don't want to come off too strongly and scare her away.
I was already parked outside of the restaurant when I decided it was a bad idea to kick Gustavos ass. Breathing deeply , in and out I backed out of my parking space and hesitantly left the restaurant. Gustavo will just have to wait and see what I have coming because I refuse to let him get to me and make me slip up. Not this time primito.
I drove , unlike other days , I drove quietly. I wasn't really understanding the strong connection that I felt with Jaque. It was quite weird for me. Ever since my pa passed it been difficult for me to stay in tune with the world. I've caught myself zoning out , getting too caught up with business and disregarding everyone that is concerned about me. Funny enough that these past few weeks while I sat here , stared at Jaqueline and had my breakfast it had me thinking beyond business , beyond all the white noise in my head that doesn't let me rest.
As I pulled in to my rancho I waved at my Madre who was sitting under the duraznos enjoying their beautiful breezy sombra. I stopped and parked mid driveway getting out to greet my beautiful mother.

"Mamita Linda , what are you doing over here all by yourself." I said kneeling in order to greet her properly.

" My daily walk , Doctor Figueroa recommends I push myself to stay active."