• 3 • conociendo el jefe • Meeting the boss •

Saturday. Finally. It was like my Friday since I still worked but it was my last day of work for the week. I got up more enthusiastic than usual , I had a spring to my step. I walked out of my room ready for work and found mama y abuelita sitting on the kitchen table drinking their cafe and having a hushed conversation.

"Buenos días mi reina" my grandma said as I leaned down and placed a kiss on her check.

"Buenos días buelita como amenecieron?" I asked as I hugged my mom good morning.

"Goooooood" my mom said dragging out the word.

" Why are you guys being so mysterious?" I said serving myself coffee.

"Sit , we need to talk." My mom said with a straight face that got me worried.

"What's going on is everything okay ?".

"Everything is fine mi amor. Me and abuela won't be coming home tonight." She said very calmly.

" And why not ?".

"Your brother called last night." She said hesitantly.

"Okayyyy?" I said waiting for her to finish telling me whatever it was that she was going to tell me.

" He's in Arizona on a business trip and Sandra got admitted into the hospital , she's about to give birth." I looked at her completely puzzled.

"Whos Sandra and why do I care ?".

"Sandra is your cuñada, Gallardos wife".

"Again ma , why do I care ? ".

"Because abuela is taking care of Sarai and I'll be taking care of Sandra in the hospital , so we won't be home tonight".

" This is so stupid . " I said pissed at the fact my mom was going to drop everything to go cater to Gallardos family.

"What is stupid Jaqueline ?!".

"That you're dropping everything to go take care of Gallardos problems mom , yet again! When is he going to grow up !" Evidently I was mad , and ma knew why.

"Im not doing it for Gallardo . I'm doing it for my granddaughters Jaqueline! I'm sorry that I care!" she blurted out , I huffed out frustrated as hell.

Before she could even begin to say anything else to me I got up and started walking for the door.

"Jaque?".

"See you guys later " I said closing the door behind me.

It really irritates me that my mom thinks I'm really cold-hearted. Like does she not realize it's Gallardo that's a f-cking drug dealer. And aside from all that he reproduces like a bunny. Does he not care that his daughters are innocent pawns in his stupid life decisions.

By the time I got to work I was already heated , I had been simmering in my thoughts and everything pissed me off all over again. To top it all off it was like Eduardo,my manager , knew I was in a bad mood and decided to poke at me a little more today.

"Good morning jacky!" He said with a smirk on his lips.

"Jaqueline , Eduardo . You know I hate jacky.".

"My bad flaca , I always forget.".

"Yeah I bet. It's sooo hard to call me by name. Piss off Lalo. I'm not in the mood !" I said walking into the break room to put my purse on the shelf.

"Well you better get in the mood sweetheart , you're working double shift today.".

"The hell I am".

"Grazielas Tia got sick so boss wants someone to cover the night shift.".

"Why me though?!" I said throwing my purse down on a chair.

"You're the only one who hasn't covered a night shift. It's only fair ." He said dismissing me. Great . Just great now I have to work until 3 A.M and no one is going to be home. Just my luck.

By 10:30 I was already exhausted. My feet felt like they were going to shrivel off and die and my back was killing me! The night shift was way more excruciating than the morning shift. The costumers at the bar were mostly middle age , single , obnoxious , drunk men. On every bill they left as a tip they also left their numbers along with obscene notes. Ew. I was just about to throw my wet rag at the drunk man in front of me when one of the other girls working the floor came up next to me practically running.

"What's your problem?" I said so irritated with the world. My day was going so good this morning, I woke up happy and everything. Why did everyone just set out to ruin it. Ugh .

"Abelardo just got here!" She said enficizing the 'r' waaaay to much.

"Abelardo ? Abelardo who ?" I said continuing to wipe down the bar.

"OMG JAQUE ! You don't know who Abelardo is ? " She said shocked. She was acting like I didn't know who our president was . Who in the hell is Abelardo?

"No ? Who TF is that ?" I said yet again brushing this girl off. She was standing way to close to me , it was seriously a problem.

"Abelardo Is Gustavos silent partner. he owns like 75 percent of this place and it's profits ! How do you not know who he is?!".

"Oh so you mean he's another jackass like Gustavo. You could have just said that Maria. And I don't think your big mouth understands how silent partners work do you ?".

" Silent doesn't really mean silent Jaqueline. Everyone knows who he is. ".

"Except me . Because I don't care. ".

"You should care ! He's our boss ! If you mess this up both Gustavo and Eduardo will kill us both so behave ! Please!".

"You're the one flippin out , chill ! Breathe Mari , breathe! You act like I've been served anyone before . .OMG move Maria ! You're suffocating me ! Damn ! " I said practically peeling her off my side.

"OMG that's him . Here he comes !" She said abnormally loud.

I turned towards the direction of her eyes and completely fell speachless​. This Abelardo man , he was not what I expected. He looked nothing like Gustavos old skeevy a-ss. I must have really looked slow or something , just sitting there staring at him. He must've been young , not as young as me but not nearly as old as Gustavo. I guess the first thing I noticed were his eyes. His green eyes contrasted so we'll against his lightly tanned skin and the stubble from his beard made him appear older than he was . Just by his smooth skin and plump lips I knew he couldn't be older than 35.

"Buenas noches muchachas." He said as he sat down in the stool directly in front of us.

"Buenas noches" we both said in perfect harmony.

"Mari please tell Eduardo I came to review the books and I'd like to see them as soon as possible.".

"Yes sir. " She said practically scattering away.

" I'll be up in a second , tell him I don't plan on waiting on anyone".

"Yes sir" she said continuing her path to Eduardo's office.

He then turned to me and smirked. I didn't really understand why but I liked his dimples so I wasn't complaining.

"Hello " he said dark and low.

"Hi" I said trying to find my voice .