Chapter 2.1

I had been up all night navigating the speedboat through the turbulent ocean currents. My body was sore from bracing against the impact of the waves, and my eyes and partially-treated head wound burned with salt. If it were possible to go all the way there with the jet, I would have gladly done it, but I needed something that was small and subtle to reach my destination, so I had stopped and exchanged it for a boat.

I wiped the thick moisture from my face as the island slowly appeared on the horizon, cast as a silhouette by the setting sun. As I approached it, I gradually slowed to a troll. I circled the island at a safe distance, imaging that being far away and partially hidden through the trees, I was merely an unnoticeable dark spot on the water. After making a round, I decided the best place to dock would be a cove behind the towering castle. The shrubbery was thick, and it would bring me very close to the back wall.

The boat scraped the sandy floor as I docked. I killed the engine and grabbed my things, hopping off onto the soft shore with a rope to secure the boat. After wrapping it around the trunk of a nearby tree, I started off to find my target.

I had been on many of these kinds of missions before, but instead of tromping around wilderness, I merely slunk around city buildings or situated myself in a partially uncomfortable hiding position until they arrived in range of my scope. Nature was not my area of expertise, nor did I favor it, but a small disadvantage like this wasn't going to deter me.

I wasted no time fooling with the vines or briars as they tangled themselves around my legs or tore through the thick, black material of the jumpsuit and scratched at my skin. I just ripped right through them, keeping a steady jog as I moved towards the castle. The sun was nearly beginning to disappear now, casting a bright golden glow around me, shadowing other areas just enough to hide a log so that I would stumble. Gnats occasionally buzzed around my face, and the unfamiliar smell of the woods put a strange taste in my mouth that I did not like.

I felt some relief when I reached the edge of the wall, knowing my least favorite part was over for now. I sized up my next obstacle, just now becoming aware of the reality that it was insanely high. I patted the stone with my hand. It was rough blocks that made it look a little medieval-styled. A few stories above me, there was a balcony. The real challenge would be avoiding getting caught once I got there, but scaling up the wall was a pretty great challenge on its own for now.

Taking a breath, I grabbed a hold of the wall and secured my foot onto one of the rough spots. I hoisted myself up to the next step, finding that the wall had a better grip than some others I had climbed. Still, most of those were little eight foot high fences or something—not hundred foot castle walls. A little chill slipped through me as my grip faltered on one place, but I quickly regained it, and continued upwards.

Once I came to the balcony, I grabbed onto the railing and pulled myself over, flattening myself against a wall as I caught my breath. I forced myself to wait a few moments before going in to make sure there was no one around. I peered in through the window behind me. There seemed to be a long hallway, but no guards, and only one revolving camera at the end. At the right moment, sneaking past it would be easy. Just as I twitched to move in, a figure walked by. My heart began pounding in fear that I had been caught after coming so far, but they didn't see me, much less look the least bit vigilant.

I waited to hear a door shut, indicating that they had left the area, then cautiously slipped inside, avoiding the camera narrowly to make it through a door that lead to a staircase. My arms and legs were shaking as I climbed the stairs. I didn't know if it was from working my muscles more than usual by scaling the wall or nervousness from the emotional weight of this mission. Previously, I entered them with a sound mind, void of feelings, and having no real goal except to collect payment. I bit my lip and clenched my fists, trying to make the feeling of weakness leave. It didn't cease until my hand brushed the cold metal of my gun. I smiled slightly, deciding to unsheathe it. I felt the ground under my silent steps again as I moved upwards to the next door.

A few more sets of stairs and corridors, and I arrived at the final room. My heart rate accelerated as I approached the door, using my last few moments before stepping into the room to chamber the .45, taking the safety off and wrapping my hand tightly around the cold, bronze handle. I needed no kind of mental preparation to do what I was about to do. Killing had become second nature to me.

I shoved my shoulder against the door, causing it to fly open as I jumped into the room. I slammed it shut behind me, quickly securing the lock. I jerked around to find my eyes immediately falling on the man dressed in red. He was standing at the window, a wine glass between his fingers. The hot sunlight set the room ablaze, the essence of it fueling me. I aimed not to wound, but to kill, directly at his snow-white hair-covered head.

He whirled around in shock, his eyes widening with fear when he saw me with the gun in my hand. The look of despair and hopelessness took over his features, the way it always does in this moment. It happens so quickly, in just a flash, but it seems to last forever. It's the look of a man who knows his life is about to end.