Chapter 17: Artemis

"Is there a problem with useing my name?" I ask Thea. Oliver gives me a look when he hears the tone of my voice.

"Well it's just, we wouldn't want two Artemis' to be walking around Star City, one hanging around the soon-to-be Mayor, and the other with the Green Arrow, someone will get smart and figure it out." John says.

"I want my name to be Artemis." I say.

"And I respect that, but for safety I ask you to choose something else." He says.

"No." I say. Oliver sighs.

"Why won't you pick something else?" Thea asks.

"I just don't want too. So stop asking!" I snap. Everyone looks at me.

"I'm sorry." I say quietly. Felicity puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Why are you so determined that your name be Artemis?" She asks. I sigh.

"In the ophanage where I grew up they called me Lu-Ann, anyways there was this childrens book that I read all the time, it was a Greek mythology book, and the story of the goddess Artemis always facisnated me, so one day when I was about six or seven one of the ladies there called my name, but I wouldn't respond, well I got disciplined for that, but after they asked why I wouldn't answer when the lady called my name, I said "My name is no longer Lu-Ann, my name is Artemis. And that's what I've been called ever since." I say.

"I'm sorry I pushed you so hard about the name thing. I didn't know." Thea says.

"It's okay." I say. Felicity snaps her fingers.

"Felicity?" Oliver asks.

"Diana." She says.

"What?" I ask.

"In public, or if someone not on our team is around, we call you Diana, other than that you will be called Artemis." Felicity says. I shake my head.

"No." I say.

"Artemis sweetie, Diana is the Roman name for Artemis." Felicity says.

"Well why didn't you say that in the first place?" I ask with a smile.

"Now you'll need a last name." Oliver says.

"Not true. Orphan, remember?" I tease. Theres a knock on the door.

"Shouldn't someone get that?" I ask.

"No. We're eating." John says. I look at my empty plate.

"May I have seconds please?" I ask. Oliver grabs my plate.

"I was on my way to get seconds myself." He says. Thea goes to hand him her plate, but he shakes his head.

"Ollie!" Thea exclaims as she stands up and follows him into the kitchen.

"So Artemis what are you learning about in school?" Felicity asks.

"Oh um. . . well the uh school is on a uh break for um a few weeks." I say. Oliver walks back over. Oliver grabs his glass of wine.

"How about a toast to our small teams newst member Artemis?" He says. Everyone grabs their drinks and stands up. I remain seated. Felicity looks at me. I sigh, then grab my cup of soda and stand up.

"To Artemis may we catch many badguys with her help." Oliver says.

"To Artemis!" Everyone says. We all take a sip of our drinks. There's another knock on the door, this one louder so more like a fist pounding on the door.

"I'll get it." Laurel says as she stands up. I hear the door open.

"Oh my God." I hear Laurel say. I faintly hear talking.