Chapter 7: Artemis

I wait till nightfall to pull the tracker off my shoulder. I wait on the roof, leaning against a wall, till I hear someone approach. I toss the tracker to the person and it lands at their feet.

"If you thought I wouldn't notice and lead you to where I'm staying, you were wrong." I say.

"Well then, it's a good thing that I didn't put that tracker on you." A gruff voice says. My eyes widen.

"You!" I quickly pull an arrow from my quiver and ready my bow.

"Save it kid, you and I both know that won't hit me." The man says.

"It's worth a shot." I say.

"You let that arrow go, and you'll regret it." The man says.

"I think I'll take the risk." I say.

The man moves forward, one hand on my bow the other on my arm holding it, and he bends my arm and jerks it at an angle. I scream and drop the bow. I grab my arm and groan. The man drives his elbow into my back, then knees me in the stomach. I turn my arm over, exposing the mini crossbow, and fire at him.

"Mini arrows? Really?" He asks.

He goes to throw a punch, but I roll away and grab my bow. I ready an arrow and prepare to fire, but he pushes my arm up and the arrow misses. He slams me against the ledge of the roof, and presses my bow against my neck. I gasp for breath. I reach over and press a button on the bow. It shrinks down to the size of a phone. I punch the man, then kick him away. I bring a hand up to my throat and cough. Rubbing my throat I walk towards the man. The man sweeps my legs and I fall onto my back. I feel something press against my throat again. Dark spots dance in my vision as I struggle to breathe.