Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

'Just for me. I'm trying to put a few demons to bed. You know how that is, of course.'

'That I do. What's your name again?'

'John Savage.'

'I was fast tracked for management until then John. I had commissions coming out my ears. All those closet city boys just wanted to give me their money and their bodies. Then that fool had to go and jump, I mean why? His suits were beautiful.'

'His suits?' That took a moment to process. 'That's what I'm trying to work out,' Savage said. 'Why he jumped.'

'Didn't the police figure it out? He was embezzling money or something? Mind you, money or no, if I'd been stuck with that bitch I'd have jumped too.'

That stung, still, after all this time. He and Jo had never been— What? A couple? Savage fought his protective male urges.

'Why?'

'Why what?'

'Why, or how was she a bitch?'

Stacy plonked a mug of tea on the desk, and took one back to her own.

'Oi, you. Where's Mr Savage's cup of tea?'

She sighed and offered Savage her own. 'No, thanks, I don't want one.'

'Are you sure? The man said. She rolled her eyes.

'Definitely. Tell me about the woman.'

'The bitch,' he said. 'Honestly. I've told you before haven't I Stacy? I drove them round all morning and all she did was tell him what to do, when to speak, what to say. I'd met him before, you see? He was a robust, handsome, and strong man. But with her. My god. He was just so weak. It was disgusting.'

The irony of the man's bitchy behaviour with Stacy wasn't lost on Savage.

'I mean,' he continued, 'effeminate I may be, I give you that, but that doesn't mean I'm a wuss. Not like he was with her.'

'What did they talk about?'

'Well, he was just desperate, a hopeless case. He'd given her the boat and the house and the car he asked her what else did she want?'

Savage's eyes widened. 'That's the bit I didn't hear. Their relationship was definitely fraught then?'

'No, it wasn't fraught. She was a bitch. I told you already. She wasn't interested in helping him when he was about to jump, she lost her temper, she was going to tell him off again.'

'What do you mean tell him off?'

'I don't know exactly. All I know is this, she almost slapped him when we first walked in. Except I was there, so she didn't. I think she would have given it to him properly second time round, but he jumped before she could.'

'Are you sure about this?'

He shrugged. 'I bet that bitch got all his money too,' he brought his tea to his lips, 'did she?'

'Now that's a good question. And you know, I don't have the answer. No reason to think why not though, she was his fiancé.'

'Makes you think doesn't it John?' He pouted his lips at the hot liquid and blew on it to cool it down.

'Yeah,' Savage said. 'It sure does.'

                                                                  *

The motorways of London soon gave way to the narrow lanes of the southern English countryside. Less than an hour from London they meandered past the backs of some of the UK's roughest housing estates. Then gave up on modernity and reverted to expensive mansions in the country with immaculate tree lined drives that merely hinted at the entitlement hidden within.