'You ever go up to the CEO's floor?'

'Me? God, no. Like once to drop off a report.'

'Describe it to me.'

'I got as far as reception.'

'That's all I need.'

'Okay, big desk, foyer area. Retro modern panelling behind, frosted glass off to the sides. Paris Hilton wannabe on reception, you know the type.'

'Ugh?'

'Maximum ugh. Lady Ga-Ga lack of personality, you know?'

'Pop culture left me way behind, but I get the idea.'

'There's a seating area to your right when you come in. I remember that.'

'What else?'

'Nothing.'

'Any signs?'

'Oh yeah, banqueting to the left, meeting rooms one, two, and three, to the right.'

'You sure?'

'No. Could be the other way round.'

'Banqueting?'

'Oh sure, big Chief Sutherland has his own butler and chef.'

'The other half, hey?'

'I actually don't have another half.'

Their eyes lingered longer than either of them expected.

'You notice phones, internet points, anything like that?'

'Normal receptionist stuff. It's all wifi though. Not sure they do points any more.'

He thought about that for a second. 'Okay, that could work too.' Then gave her his best I'm a man you can trust smile.

'You need the bathroom?' she said.

Okay, smooth. He vowed never to fake a smile again.

'You up for more mischief?' he said, and tried a real smile.

'You really don't know me do you?' she wheeled her chair close enough for their knees to touch. He felt her heat. 'I'm always up for mischief.'

                                                                  *

The phone rang, a recorded voice kicked in.

'This is the Chief Executive's office. You are calling out of hours. You will now be diverted to the switchboard.'

Another ring.

'Good morning,' a husky male voice said, one tea break away from the next cigarette. Night security at shift's end. 'You've been redirected from the executive office. Can I take a message?'

'Oh, hi honey,' Echo said in her best American. 'What's your name?'

'Mark Smith.'

'Mark can you be a doll and just take this down? Stacey Blonqvuist calling from the I-Sec department.'

'I-Sec.'

'Oh, sorry sweetie. Internet Security.' She giggled. 'I'm talking corporate at you.'

'No problem,' the man said.

'We've been updating the back office security overnight and we're having problems with some of the legacy systems in place. We need to send our teams out in the morning to check infrastructure on the executive floor.'