The people who lived in provinces too far from the capital city were still awarded the public holiday. Platters upon platters of food were sent to their city centres where each person could enjoy a free meal, at least. It wasn't as elaborate as the richer provinces -- but it was something. Queen Nura had made sure to cater for everyone.

The palace had been transformed into something fairy tales were made out of. The stone floors had been polished to perfection and instead of using electric light, the place was lit with candles and fairy lights all around.

The banquet hall itself was a marvel -- soft lights, elaborate chandeliers and eating utensils and an unending supply of food. Officials and their families walked about the hall, conversing in merry tones to one another while servants offered them small treats on golden platters.

Nura watched it all from her throne with a small satisfied smile. One of her advisors had just given her a satisfactory update on how the banquets in the hotels for citizens were going. She was content with the fact that people were having a good time.

All the official's children along with her own were also having a merry time, eating and playing to their hearts contents in the playroom.

The only person missing was Wassim. She had specifically told him to make sure he was present during the banquet but she had yet to see him. She tried to silence the agitated voice that told her he was doing this on purpose.

Wassim had changed significantly in the past three years. She was sensitive to the fact that their relationship dynamics had changed and it would take a lot of time and effort to adjust -- but there was still a niggling doubt that this was more than Wassim finding it difficult to adapt.

When Wassim had been given permission to court Nura six years ago, Nura believed she had met her Prince Charming. He was the son of an aristocrat from the province of Gedin and was everything any girl could ever want: charming, intelligent, well-mannered and mysterious -- with skin like cappuccino and azure eyes. He was tall, lean and absolutely beautiful.

He had adored her. He had doted on her extensively in the one year they had courted -- always said the right things and had always kept a respectable physical distance from her. He would listen to all the things she had to say and for the first time in her life, Nura felt like she was finally being heard. As a woman in such a male-dominated world, her voice hadn't mattered, but with him it had. That alone had made her feel more valuable than gold and it had made it easier for her to let him into the deepest oceans of her heart.

Their first year of marriage had been a breeze. Along with an extravagant but private wedding, the king had gifted them with their own private estate within the palace compound -- that came with a multitude of servants to cater to them.

The instruction had been to fill up the house with as many little ones as was possible. They'd already begun to fulfil that duty when Nura had given birth to twins a year into their marriage -- King Hakim had been over the moon. He had loved Wassim II more than his sister Malak (but that was something Nura never planned to tell her children.)

The couple had taken lavish trips to Paris, Venice, New York, Milan and wherever else their hearts desired. Nura personally didn't enjoy the frequent travelling but it was something her husband thrilled after so she went along with it.

When Nura went from being a First Princess to Queen, all that came to a stop, too. Nura was determined about uplifting the economy and put all of her energy into that. Wassim had never had an interest in the state of affairs and preferred to spend his time horse riding, playing golf and enjoying other leisure with his entourage.