Chapter 5

Link sat on the floor of the hallway, his back against the wall.

Did I really just see Zelda here? No, my eyes MUST be playing tricks on me or something... That couldn't have been her, but it was, wasn't it? I'm sure that it was!

Cutting off his thoughts, the elevator dinged again.

Link looked around the corner just in time to see Zelda run out of the elevator and back to the apartment she just left and knock on the door.

"Sariaaaaaaa I forgot my keys in my bag."

It can't be right... but it is. That's Zelda for sure. But, if she forgot her keys then would that mean she didn't live here? Or maybe that meant she did? Ugh, why don't I just go ask her or something for crying out loud!

Zelda stood in front of a very distracted Link, unnoticed. "I thought someone was watching me... Ask her what?

"Wait, what- Zelda, how did you," Link stuttered, feeling both shock and surprise.

Zelda chuckled. "Which question would you like me to answer first? The one about how did I find you stalking me or the one about how I 'read your thoughts'?"

"I, I wasn't stalking you. I'm actually staying here thanks to the student exchange program. An old friend of my aunt owns the building so... here I am now. Also yeah, how did you read my mind?"

"Well," Zelda laughed. "I actually didn't read your thoughts, you kinda just said the last part... out loud."

"I DID?"

Zelda nodded. "Yup."

"And you heard me from about halfway down the hallway?"

Zelda nodded again, pointing at one of her ears. "We're Hylians remember, we hear everything. Well, almost everything."

"True."

A moment later Saria opened the door to her aunt's apartment, expecting Zelda to be right outside.

"Zel, you wanted me to open the door and you're not there? I swear to sweet Nayru above that if you're trying to scare me or something, it's not going to work," Saria said, sticking her head outside and looking for her friend. "Oh, there you are. Aww, look at you two having one of those special moments from books in the hallway."

"W-what, Saria, it's not what you think, wait, what do you think?"

"Zel, it's not what I think, its what I see. To be honest, what I see is marriage and a few kids perhaps."

"SARIA," Zelda screamed, her face sprinkled with a pink blush that was growing darker.

Saria laughed at her friend's protest. "Don't deny the truth darling. Anyways, isn't that the boy from earlier, uh, what was his name, Link?"

Before Zelda could reply, Link answered for her. "Yeah, I'm Link. Your name is Saria, right?"

"Yup, that's me, good ol' Saria," she said chuckling.

"Saria, the word good doesn't even begin to describe you, you're good but in a horrible way," Zelda laughed.

"Guilty as charged," Saria replied, in a singsongy voice, dangling Zelda's keys from one of her fingers as she stepped out into the hallway wearing only her pajamas and fluffy socks. "So, do you want your keys or not, Zel?"

"Uh, yeah, how else am I supposed to get into my house? You don't expect me to climb in through the window do you," Zelda asked, raising an eyebrow at her friend.

A playful light danced in Saria's eyes as she said four words. "Then come get them..."

"Saria, I swear that if you run away then I'll, uh, convince your aunt that coffee is bad and you shouldn't drink it."