12:03

I'm busy struggling with the juicer when I start feeling like I'm being watched. I turn around to see my wife, hair piled up in a messy bun, sitting on the kitchen island in my white shirt and drawstring pants.

"Lily went to her room to get Mr. Widdles and Mrs. Bunbun. Do you need help? Ako na magfry ng eggs."

I give her a quick peck on the forehead and feel relieved when she doesn't recoil at the contact. Progress. I'll take whatever I can get.

She makes quick work of the eggs while I carefully place bacon strips on the baking pan.

"Ang OC mo pa rin no?"

I chuckle as I put the pan inside the oven. She pads over to where I am and wraps her arms around my waist.

"I really plan on staying this time. For good na. I'm not leaving anymore, Jay. I'm done running away."

I hug her back tightly, my heart already swelling with hope despite my resolve not to get swayed by her empty promises. She has said those words before, and I believed her, only to find myself waking up to an empty bed and a carelessly written apology one too many times.

"I need you to believe me this time, Mahal. I need you to have more faith in me than myself. I will do everything I need to do to make you believe me. Hindi na ako aalis ulit. Hindi ko na kayo iiwan ng anak natin."

Just as I'm about to respond to her, our daughter comes barreling through like the tiny tornado of excitement and joy that she is.

"Nanay, I kilala you to my new fuffies okay?"

"Oooh my Lilykins has new fluffies? Sige, introduce me to your new babies."

I watch them as Dei carries our daughter and her batallion of stuffed animals to our big swing outside. I go back to putting together the rest of our meal so we can officially start the day.

I take a deep breath and knuckle away a few tears that escape my eyes. There are things that require my attention. My mental and emotional breakdown can wait.