thirteen

It had been three weeks since Sura's banishment from the palace. A calming peace had taken over the palace, allowing love to bud all over like roses. Even the general's love for Sura strengthened in her absence, as the correspondence of letters between them grew more frequent and the contents grew larger and more passionate.

Jimin sat at his desk, rereading Sura's calligraphy on the paper while trying to write his own.

I yearn for your embrace, my love...

Biting his lower lip, Jimin closed his eyes and imagined being in her presence once more.

I ache for your touch, your kiss.

Quickly realizing where his mind was taking him, he snapped out of his daydream and took a deep breath. He immediately knew how he would respond, and dipped his brush into a small pot of ink. Just as he was about to put the instrument to paper, he heard a soldier kneel on the ground and greet him.

"Sir, His Majesty calls upon you," he said, keeping his head bowed.

Sighing in exasperation, the general nodded and left the soldier there without a word.

Jimin thought he knew why Sura wasn't at the palace. In one of Sura's letters, the woman had detailed her banishment from the palace as "a complicated misunderstanding", blaming her temporary exile on the king himself and his alleged "paranoia". Since then, he harbored a secret resent towards Namjoon that only festered every time the young man laid eyes on the royal.

And now, he'd interrupted his time to respond to his lover.

Upon making it to the palace doors, Jimin contemplated confronting Namjoon about it. Jimin felt like he could shove the entire thing in the royal's face, but he simply didn't have the energy to do so. He let out his last breath before entering the grand hall, walking towards the throne where Namjoon was seated, and bowing before him.

"Your Majesty blesses me with his presence," Jimin chanted, trying not to let monotony seep into his voice.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your free time, General. I have to speak to you, it's urgent," Namjoon began, standing up.

"What is the matter, Your Grace?" Jimin asked, standing after him.

"There has been an attack on the southern region. From the magistrate's report, it was the Silcho clan. We must take immediate action."

"The Silcho? The vagabonds we overthrew years ago?"

"Precisely."

When Namjoon's father ruled the kingdom, the Silcho clan was a constant threat to the well-being of the country. Surprise attacks, city sieges and even propaganda was common, even though the former king did his best to protect the people before himself. They were a nomadic clan, moving around and never really settling in one place. Although their location wasn't a constant, their bloodlust was -- and so was their defiance towards order and authority.

"This is serious," Jimin said, pursing his lips. "I will go down to the southern provinces now. We'll fortify the walls and guard along the borders and keep a sharp eye."

"Good. I will send lesser troops down to the other regions as well, in case something breaks out there," Namjoon said, nodding once to himself. "Safe travels, General Park."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Jimin said, bowing towards Namjoon. Turning on his heel, he walked swiftly towards the entrance before Namjoon stopped him at the door.

"Your objective is to capture, not to kill. Don't treat the people like dogs, General," Namjoon said, closing his eyes in thought.

"Your orders are followed, Your Majesty," Jimin said, walking out towards the doors.

"Samchon!"

Skipping towards the gardens, Rinji held a fistful of fabric from her dress in her hand, preventing her from tripping over its hem. She smiled as Seokjin, dressed in a humble grey robe, came into view. The young man was exactly where Rinji thought he would be, sitting on a bench and admiring the blossoms next to him.

The noble smiled at the child, holding his arms out for the girl to run into. As each day passed, the two became closer -- acting more and more like a real uncle and his niece. He enjoyed seeing the happy girl every day, talking to her about trivial things and spoiling her with little treats from the palace kitchens. Even Taehyung, who saw Seokjin every day as well, called Rinji "my best friend's daughter."

"How are you, Rin-Rin?"

"I'm great! How are you, samchon?"

"I feel very happy," Seokjin said, smiling.

Rinji then tugged silently on Seokjin's robe. "Samchon, there's something I want to show you. Come with me!"

"Okay, Rinji-ah, hold on"--

There was no time to hold on, as Rinji had already grabbed Seokjin by the hand and dragged him along, running towards her destination outside the palace gates. Without another option, Seokjin giggled and ran along with her until they came upon a small lake.

"The water is so clear, samchon," Rinji smiled, kneeling towards the water. "It's so beautiful."

"I know something else that's beautiful, Rinji-ah," Seokjin said, kneeling next to her. Rinji smiled and laid her head on his chest.

"I love you, samchon."

"I love you too, Rinji-ah."

They sat there in a peaceful, quiet silence.

"You know samchon?"

"Hm?"

"I think this would be a great place to die."

"Oh? What do you mean?"

"Well, if I had to pick somewhere to die, somewhere to take my final breath, it would be here. It's so peaceful and calm, I'd be happy if I died here."

"Ah, I understand, my love."

Out of nowhere, as if someone had heard Rinji's wish, an arrow came flying through the trees and lodged itself in her chest.