10. Hollow (Part One)

Start from the beginning

He struggles to stand. I rush to him and help him to his feet, ignoring how hot his skin has grown.

"Thankfully it's not daytime," he murmurs, wiping the blood from his lip. I sit him down on the sofa. Skimming his cuts, my heart sinks. They aren't healing as quickly.

"I need to get you out of here," I say, knowing how impossible that will be to do undetected.

"I can move faster on my own." He attempts to stand and manages to do so without tipping over. "I'll be fine. It just takes a little time for your magic to kick in."

He stumbles forward.

I reach for him, keeping him upright. "We need to get you help. Maybe if we get you back to the caves, I can call my Aunt Sabana, somehow..."

"If Caleb finds you missing, he'll come for both of us. I can get by alone. You gave me enough. Thank you." As if meaning to prove his point, he takes my arm from around his waist and paces away a few steps. "You're better off staying here. Keep researching. As long as you're by him, you're safe. He won't let anyone get you."

I would argue, but he isn't going to budge, and we have better things to do than fight.

Over the next few minutes, I gather things he can use for his journey. If I'm to stay behind, it's the least I can do. I make him coffee, the strongest Caleb has. He isn't too fond of it, but I hope caffeine will give him some added energy. I find a duffel bag in Caleb's closet and pack a few changes of clothes and towels. I stuff snacks in there as well, things I know deep down he dislikes, but something is better than nothing.

Finished, I meet him by the couch where he adjusts his cloak and mask. I look at the clock.

"He'll be back in half an hour. That's enough time for you to get out of here. Go back to the cave if you need to rest before heading to a bridge, just in case you need to fight..." My voice fails me.

Roane weaves his hands into my hair and brings me into his arms. Feeling him so close hurts my soul. For these moments, with me, he's safe, but what about when he's back out there?

He takes in a deep breath as if inhaling my scent and presses a kiss at my pulse. "I have to go."

Time is against us, but knowing I have to let him go, I clutch his shirt tighter. "This isn't over. I'll talk to him and he'll understand."

Nodding, he kisses my forehead but doesn't reply. Silence isn't the answer I hoped for, but we don't have time to try for another. I walk him to the bookshelf door and hand him the duffel bag. In an odd way, my eyes lock on the blackness beyond the doorway.

Roane squeezes my hand and walks into the black, and I can't do anything to stop him.

Thank you so much for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter :)