Chapter 19: She Came in the Rain

Start from the beginning

The woman stopped immediately and slowly turned her head, her glittering amber eyes settling on the young woman with a mix of indifference and annoyance. Selvina, too stunned to even wipe her nose, stared back, dumbly.

A perfectly trimmed eyebrow raised slightly and the woman's full lips parted as her angular face moved when she spoke. Her voice was clear, liquid, and smooth, like honey mixed in cream. "There are far easier ways to end one's life, girl."

Selvina blinked, her mind momentarily going blank. Realizing that the woman was asking her what she was doing, she hastily wiped her nose on her sleeve, like a child, and, after shivering, said, "I'm not t-trying to kill myself."

"Yet that is what will happen if you do not seek shelter soon. Haven't your parents taught you about the dangers of cold, autumn rain? Even the simplest peasant girl knows that."

Selvina frowned, disliking the woman's tone and implications. "I'm not a stupid peasant girl. I know the rain is cold but it wasn't raining when I left!"

"Left from where?"

Selvina paused. Should she tell this mysterious woman that she had left King Arthur's camp? She may be an enemy spy. On the other hand, King Arthur wasn't trying to hide his army. With a shrug, she said, "Somewhere I didn't want to be..."

This seemed to interest the woman and she stepped closer to Selvina. She examined her closely, her eyes seeming to peer directly into her soul. It made Selvina uncomfortable and she looked away, feeling naked.

"Unfair treatment?" she asked, her voice bearing the slightest hint of concern.

Selvina met the woman's eyes and nodded slowly. "Sort of, yes..."

"Abuse?"

Selvina shook her head quickly. "No. Not that. It's just...I don't know. It's nothing terrible I guess..."

"And yet here you are, escaping it." The woman moved into the forest a ways and sat down against a tree where the ground was mostly dry. She smiled gently, the warmth in it making Selvina drop her guard, and patted the spot beside her. "Come here, young one, away from the rain. You need to dry yourself or death will be your only escape, and something tells me that is not the kind of escape you seek."

Selvina eyed the woman warily as she walked over and sat down beside her. The woman then opened up her thick cloak and wrapped it around Selvina, draping her arm around her shoulders. Despite the awkwardness of it, Selvina was warmed immediately and she found herself shifting closer to the woman. She had no idea who she was but Selvina took a chance. If she had meant her harm she could have it done already and if she had no real inclination to help she could have kept walking down the road. It was hasty reasoning but it made sense and Selvina stuck with it.

"Where do you intent to go?" the woman asked her. "The border to Noyr is not too far from here. Is that your destination?"

Selvina shrugged. "I just want to get away..." Not really knowing why, she added, "Everyone seems to be leaving me so I thought I'd show them how it felt for once."

"Family and friends are abandoning you?"

"Well...not all of them but...kind of, yes."

"You feel alone?"

Selvina nodded after a few minutes' wait.

"Neglected?" the woman pressed on.

"Maybe..."

"Ignored?"

"Well...no, not ignored. It's more like they don't trust me. Like, they don't let me do anything or go anywhere because they worry I'll get hurt."