⊲⎮CHAPTER:58'SO SHINE BRIGHT, LIKE THE DIAMOND YOU ARE'⎮⊳

Start from the beginning

"This p-pain in my heart, it's- I- I can't bear it Mom."

"It'll get better, it'll get better," she kissed the top of my head gently.

"Maybe not today,

or tomorrow,

or even in a year,

but eventually,

things will turn up,

you will get better and

be able to look back

and say with relief:

'I made it.' "

That statement brought back some memories from my childhood.

I was walking around the house, alone. It was Christmas and nobody was with me except for some guards outside the house. Rebecca had gone to meet her family and I had to find something to cure my boredom.

It was always fun for me to checkout my parents' belongings. I always found joy in going into their room and staring at Mom's perfumes, makeup and jewelry. Taking all of my Dad's shoes out and putting them back, every time with a different sequence was what interested me. I used to set aside all the darks and all the lights of his suits. I used to stare at the colourful ties that belonged to my Dad.

Just when I was surfing through the drawers, I came across a little frame.

'Maybe not today,
or tomorrow,
or even in a year,
but eventually,
things will turn up,
you will get better
and be able to look back
and say with relief:
'I made it'.'

My hands traced the frame, my mind completely agreeing with the words written on the frame. Those words brought a feeling of comfort and contentment. Those words brought my heart to peace. Those words eliminated all pessimistic thoughts from my mind. Those words removed the loneliness I felt earlier.

I wanted to take that frame with me, but I was afraid Mom and Dad would punish me for that so I let it stay there. In the drawer.

"It's from that frame. . .," realization dawned upon me as I recognized why those words felt so familiar.

"Yeah, from that frame. My Mom gave that frame to me as a gift on my fifteenth birthday," a little smile curved up her lips as she narrated.

"Grandmama gifted it to you?"

Mom nodded, "it helped me a lot in life. And I'm sure it will help you too." She continued, "just don't show the world that you're hurting. Show them how strong you are and no matter how they treat you, you'll fight back, you'll struggle and reach out for what you want, for what you deserve. Be how you always are, like all of the shit has no affect on you. And shine, shine bright, like the diamond you are."

And shine bright, like the diamond you are.

But even for shining, you need a source of light reflecting on to you, don't you?

* * * * *

"Oh, look who decided to show up! I thought you were dead! Such a shame you're still roaming around, contaminating the world with the filth that radiates off your sinful body!" I stopped in my track, my feet rejecting to move towards the fridge from where I wanted my water.

"Victoria, stop this, I've no time for this shit of yours. You have no idea what's going in the company!" The voice who replied made my suspicions true. It was Richard.