Chapter 3

Erika pushed open the door and heard a sharp voice calling, "Slow down! This is the dance of nymphs, not racehorses!" The young woman smiled to herself and saw the owner of the voice standing in front of a group of ballerinas. Madame Giry has not lost her edge, I see, Erika thought.

         All around them, wood covered the floor, walls, and ceiling. A piano stood off to the side and various barres either stood against or were anchored to the wall. An odd assortment of chairs stood off to the left side of the room. The ballerinas were in the center of the room, clothed in deep green maillots* and tutus. Their instructor was thin with sharp, pronounced facial features and wore a black dress. She had a cane in her hand, which she used to keep the beat of the music.

         "Again!" Madame Giry ordered. "Margo, feet in posi-" Suddenly, the instructor caught sight of Erika and stopped. "Keep rehearsing, girls," she said, giving them a glare. With that, she walked over to Erika.

         "What are you doing here?" Madame Giry whispered, her eyes narrowed.

         "I have a new job now," Erika replied in a whisper.

         "Which is?"

         "Your accompanist," Erika replied, her voice turning to a grumble. Her gaze flicked to the curious ballerinas, who were all either stealing glances at the pair or just outright staring.

         Madame Giry said nothing for a time, then whispered, "What?!"

        "I was reassigned by the new managers. Do I start now?"

        Madame Giry took a deep breath. Her dark brown eyes were fixed on Erika's masked face. Then she let out her deep breath and replied, "Yes, you start now. Get warmed up while we continue rehearsal."

        Before Erika got more than a step, Madame Giry leaned over and whispered, "The walls have ears. Mention nothing of your past, or you may anger him." With that, the ballet instructor walked back towards her "Ballet Rats."

        Erika rolled her eyes and strode over to the piano. She needn't mention that to me, she thought, frowning a bit as she sat down at the piano bench. Of all of the people here, I would be the least likely to utter a word. Erika stretched her fingers out over the ivory keys and played a scale.

         "Who do you think she is, Margo?" Erika heard a girl whisper. "She's an odd one, keeping her face covered like that!"

         Erika chanced a sideways glance at the chorus girls. She saw one look at her, then turn to the girl on her right.

         "Perhaps she feels protected from prying eyes," Margo replied to her companion. She then glanced back and gave Erika a kind smile.

         The accompanist quickly turned her eyes back to the sheet music before her. Everything seems in tune, she thought with a nod. Erika looked towards Madame Giry. The instructor gave her a glance of acknowledgement and called, "From the top!"

-----------------

A few hours later...

        Erika stood up and picked up her lunch bag. The chorus girls streamed out of the room, talking and laughing, often casting glances over their shoulders at the accompanist.

        "What do you think she's hiding under that mask?" one brunette ballerina whispered to one of her companions.

        "Must be a terrifying sight if she covers it up like she does," came the reply.