Since it’s so early, I don’t expect to see anyone out in the halls. So when I trip over a small, breathing lump on the ground, it’s hard not to take out my wand and spit out a few curses. I’m just reaching into my jean pocket for it when I see who I’ve tripped over.

It’s Jackson.

          “What the hell are you doing out here?” I snap, rubbing my jaw where it struck the stone floor. “It’s four thirty in the morning, Cassie.”

          She rubs her eyes sleepily, and I notice how puffy and red they are. With guilt prickling in my stomach, I sit up closer to her. Cassie pushes herself into a sitting position and mumbles, “The riddle…couldn’t figure it out, and I couldn’t get in…”

          “What are you talking about?” I ask, more gently this time. I notice she’s shivering uncontrollably, and I have the sudden impulse to give her my jacket. I resist the urge and continue, “Were you locked out of your common room or something?”

          She nods, starting to look more awake now. “Yeah. When I got to the portrait, I barely even heard the riddle, so I just guessed and got it wrong. No one else was around to try and answer it for me…”

          “You didn’t spend the whole night out here, did you?” I ask in disbelief, even more guilty than before. I have a sinking feeling that Cassie was crying too hard to hear the portrait’s riddle.

          “Well…yeah.”

          “Cassie,” I groan, helping her up. “You could have owled me, I would have guessed it for you.”

          “Like you could have gotten it right,” she smirks.

          She wouldn’t have owled me even if I could get it right, I think, remembering how upset she’d been last night. Despite my better judgment, I lean close to her and ask seriously, “Are you okay?”

          “Yeah,” Cassie says quickly. She lets out a weak laugh and adds, “I’m fine.”

          I give her a skeptical look, knowing she’s lying. “No. You’re not okay, Cassie.”

          “Look,” she sniffles suddenly, and I see she’s barely holding back fresh tears. “You can drop the act. I know you don’t actually care.”

          “I do care!” I retort angrily. “Can’t you see that?”

          Cassie bites her lip, attracting my gaze to her mouth. No, no, don’t look, I think desperately, focusing my eyes back to hers. This is definitely not the right time.

          “Cassie,” I say quietly after a moment of silence, “Thank you.”

          “For what?” she snorts, clearly deciding to ignore what I’d said a few seconds ago.

          “For defending me, obviously,” I say, starting to feel uncomfortable. “I mean, you didn’t have to, but you did anyway, and—“

          “Draco, it’s okay,” she interrupts, giving me a small smile. I try to ignore how light-headed I feel as she uses my first name. “You’re welcome.”

          I let out a breath of relief; I don’t thank people often at all. Cassie runs a hand through her hair, tucking it behind her ear. I avoid her watchful gaze in the short silence that follows, not sure if I’ll be able to resist myself. Cassie breaks the silent moment by saying quietly, so quietly that I have to lean closer, “Why did you kiss me?”

          My shoelaces have suddenly become very interesting, and I study them while I frantically try to think up an excuse. I stammer quickly, “Because—because…” Damn it, think of something! “Um, well…I dunno,” I finish lamely, allowing myself a peek at her face. She’s watching me carefully, but I feel relieved as I see she’s trying to hold back laughter.

          “Nice excuse,” she smirks.

          I’m trying to figure out what this means when I have a sudden thought. I finally look her in the eye as I ask suspiciously, “Well, why did you kiss me back?”

          I see her falter, unsure of how to respond. It’s my turn to smirk as I say, “See? You don’t know either.”

          “I’m asking the questions!” she splutters, flustered.

          I shake my head with a small grin, then turn to walk past her. I know I have to get to the Room of Requirement, and this conversation is making me really uncomfortable. “If you don’t mind, I’ve got places to be.”

          “Wait,” Cassie says, reaching out and grabbing my arm before I can get past her. I turn back to look at her, and I can see the seriousness in her eyes as she says softly, “I didn’t mind it, you know.”

          I blink slowly, knowing I should turn her away now before I say something I’ll regret. I know I can’t let myself get in too deep, but I can’t stop myself from replying, “I didn’t mind it, either.”

          Cassie’s hand is still on my arm, and I allow her to pull me gently forward. I reach up and brush my hand against her cheek, feeling how warm she is. Her eyes slowly shut as she leans her head closer to mine, and our lips finally meet.

          I can feel her running her hands over my back, but it’s barely noticeable as I push her gently against the wall beside us. This time, she doesn’t pull away when my tongue enters her mouth. My mind goes completely blank as we kiss, and I know there’s nothing to regret about this.