Chapter Five

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

~*~

I get to Potions early, and smile happily when I spot Matt sitting at a table by himself. I start to walk over to him, but then I doubt myself. Maybe he won’t want to sit with me?

          Before I can make a decision, Matt turns and smiles at me, and my heart practically melts when he waves me over.

          Dropping my bag beside the chair, I sit down next to Matt. “Thank God you’re in this class,” I say bravely, “I’ve had the worst first period.”
          He laughs and asks, “Why, what happened?”

          “I had to sit with Draco Malfoy,” I groan.

          Matt’s eyes widen and he leans closer. His tone completely changes as he says quietly, “Are you serious? Cassie, don’t you know he’s dangerous?”

          “Well, I mean, he’s as annoying as frick but he’s not—“

          “Cassie,” Matt interrupts gently, “there are rumors going around that he’s a Death Eater.”
          I stare back at him, slowly processing his words. What? There’s no way anyone at our school is working for You-Know-Who.

          I open my mouth to tell him this, but the new Potions teacher enters the room before I can say anything. I turn to face the front of the room, Matt giving me a final stare, letting me know I should remember his words.

          Professor Slughorn smiles down at us, and I’m actually thinking that this class might be okay. After all, it couldn’t be much worse than my first class.

          The professor is just opening his mouth to greet us when the door slams open, revealing Filch and a very frustrated Malfoy.

          This realization causes me to groan, “God, not this class too!” but it can’t be heard over the laughter of several Slytherins. Except for Pansy Parkinson, who looks over at Malfoy with worry.

          Filch looks at Slughorn’s confused expression and says gleefully, “Caught this one skipping class. I recommend you give him a punishment.”

          Malfoy rips his arm away from Filch’s grip, and straightens his white shirt with annoyance.

          Slughorn shakes his hands at Filch’s words and responds cheerfully, “That won’t be necessary, Mr. Filch. We wouldn’t want anyone to have a bad first day!”

          “Too late,” I whisper, and Matt tries hard to contain his laughter at my expression.

          Filch frowns with disappointment after hearing Malfoy won’t be punished, and reluctantly leaves the classroom. Malfoy moves to sit at the table with several Slytherins, but Slughorn stops him and says, “Oh, Mr. Malfoy, you may as well stay standing. We’re doing things a bit differently this year, and everyone will be getting assigned seats.”

          Nearly everyone in the room groans, myself included. I would have had the alone time I’ve been looking for with Matt, but now that’s going to be impossible.

          Slughorn’s smile remains plastered on his face even after our reaction, and he raises his arms cheerfully, “Everyone, stand up!”

          The room is filled with the sounds of chairs scraping back, and low mutters of complaints. The professor steps closer and begins directing people to their new seats. I wait nervously, hoping he places me at the same table as Matt.