Chapter Forty-Five

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

****************************

Draco P.O.V.

          I’m in the Owlery, ripping up another one of my father’s letters without even reading it, when Blaise comes up from behind and scares the hell out of me.

          “Jesus Christ,” I snap, jumping slightly as he seems to appear out of nowhere. I clutch the shredded letter in my hand, hoping Blaise won’t notice or ask about it.

          “What’s that?” Blaise asks nosily, pointing to the torn letter that I’ve been trying to hide behind my back.

          I sigh angrily and look down at it. “Nothing.”

          “Right,” Blaise says. He goes to lean against the wall casually but quickly stops once he realizes it’s covered in bird shit. Ignoring the pointed look I’m giving him, he continues curiously, “Is it from Lucius?”

          “No,” I reply hotly, then decide to change the subject quickly before he can press any further. “What are you doing up here?”

          A jet black barn owl hoots loudly as it flies through the open window almost as soon as I finish speaking, a letter attached to its scaly leg. Blaise steps forward and accepts the letter from his owl, answering unnecessarily, “Getting a letter.” As the owl soars back out the window, Blaise tucks the paper in his pocket and gives me a small wave as he heads for the door, adding, “Anyway, I’ve got to go. Have fun shredding up your letter that isn’t from Lucius.”

          Wondering why he’s being so cheerful, I glare heatedly at his back in annoyance as he exits the Owlery with a smirk. I turn to continue ripping up the letter once he’s gone, and when it’s finally reduced to little shreds, I toss the pile into the garbage bin by the far corner with relief. I’ve been ignoring my parents’ letters for weeks now, ever since I never came home for Christmas break. I’ve just been so busy trying to think up ways to get out of the marriage, and I don’t want to respond to their letters until I finally think of something. There’s no way I can marry Yaxley’s daughter, but refusing would mean basically killing my own parents—I can’t do that, no matter how much I hate them.

          I turn away from the garbage bin with a heavy sigh, running my fingers through my hair. I’ll just ignore them for as long as I can, and then, and then…I don’t know what’ll happen. But then there’s the whole issue of not having told Cassie any of this…

          Starting to get seriously cold from the openness of the Owlery, I quickly exit out the doorway and head down the stairs. Classes start tomorrow since it’ll be Monday, and I’ve unfortunately got a Potions essay to finish.

I don’t make it halfway down the first hallway before I see three guys in Slytherin robes heading my way. My stomach sinks as I see it’s Marcus Flint, Crabbe, and Goyle. By the look all three of them are giving me, it’s clear this isn’t going to be good; I find myself wishing Flint actually managed to graduate last year. I keep walking and look straight ahead as they come closer, so I don’t know if they’re watching me or not. But as they pass by, I feel Flint purposefully knock shoulders with me, so I stop and turn to face him angrily.

          “Hey Malfoy,” Flint sneers, glaring down at me with a cool expression on his face as the three of them stop walking as well. He glances down the empty hallway and sees that I’ve just come from the Owlery. “Sending out letters to your lover?”