Chapter 2 - The Dad

Start from the beginning

"Rose—" Cato starts.

I cut him off. "No! After everything he did to you, he cannot come into our home and regard you in that way!"

Carrick stares at me in surprise. "Listen, you don't know a damn thing about—"

"I know enough! Now either you can leave, or you can treat this family with respect!" I yelled at him.

Carrick's eyes go wide. Cato stares at me, jaw dropped.

After a few minutes, Carrick finally speaks. "I...I'm sorry."

I huff in anger and turn to walk away. "Damn right," I mumble.

Cato says something to his dad, and then I hear him shuffling his way behind me to follow me into the bedroom. I plop down on the bed angrily and cross my arms as I finally look him in the eye. He looks so sad and angry with himself.

Cato sits next to me, but says nothing.

So I guess I'm talking. "Cato, why did you bring him here?" I ask.

Cato shrugs and turns to place Willow down on the bed in between us. "I went in to get some updates on the post-Games drabble and as I was walking out of the door, Snow comes sauntering in with my Dad right behind him." Cato pauses for a moment to shake his head. "I couldn't believe it. Seeing him standing before me put me in some kind of shock, and the next thing I knew I was inviting him back here to see everything that I've made happen for myself."

"Did Snow say anything about Hayworth or Katniss?"

"No. Just him. I don't know why he's back. Snow should've kept him dead."

I go silent. I'm not sure what else to say but I do know one thing: I don't want that man anywhere near Cato, especially not with by himself. The man could convince Cato to do anything based on the mere fear that Cato has for him.

"Cato I don't want you alone with him."

Cato rolls his eyes while shaking his head. "I don't think that can happen."

"It's going to have to! I don't want him coming back and ruining what we have with one another! I can already tell he's breaking you down from the outside in. He's already made it into your head and it's only been a few hours."

"Rose... it's just not that simple."

I lean forward to take his hand. "I'm not saying that it's simple, because I know it's not. But I'm going to be here to help you. I need you, Cato, and if you let him back in the way he was before, he's going to take you away from me, and from your daughter."

Cato looks back at Willow. While I know I mean a lot to him, I don't think anyone will mean more to him than she does. He'd never do anything to lose her.

Cato finally sighs and stands up. "It's getting late and it's been a long day, baby. You should get ready for bed."

I stand as well and nod, turning around to pick willow up and put her in her bed. "Fine. But he needs to go."

Cato nods once and walks out of the room. I follow him and turn to Willow's nursery while Cato goes back into the front room.

As I'm leaving, I hear some heated whispering going on between the two men. I walk to the edge of the hallways and peer in to check on Cato.

The men are face to face, and Cato's head is hung low. His father is pushing him lightly with his hand, whispering angrily at him. Cato says nothing, just lets Carrick berate him. I can't hear anything being said, but Cato speaks in low whispers and shakes his head often.

After a few more seconds, Carrick gets very infuriated and turns to walk away. Before he makes it out of the door, Cato finally speaks up.

"Dad, please. I'm sorry," he says lowly.

Carrick still walks out, leaving Cato standing in his place.

I knew this was going to happen. The one person that could kill Cato on the inside is back, and I know that from now on, he's going to be nothing but trouble.

I can't let that happen. It looks like I need to protect Cato just as much as he's protected me.

END OF CHAPTER TWO

Hello hello, and goodbye goodbye. I hope you enjoyed this filler chapter. Things are picking up from here.

Vote, comment, share, follow and thank you so much for reading.

Cheers. Laters, baby.