4 ¦ A Brush with Death

Start from the beginning

"What's happening?"

"I'm trying to save you."

Our palms clicked into place like two puzzle pieces designed for one another. A warm, burning light traveled through my veins. His healing energy. As soon as it reached my chest, I cried out in agony.

"Just stay with me!" Peter ordered. "Don't fall asleep."

Right before I slipped into unconsciousness, his magic shocked me like a bolt of lightning. Rays of light illuminated my skin as it raced towards every cell. His life force flowed through my veins and stung like ice fire.

"We're not out of this yet," he said. "Hang on."

Peter cupped the back of my neck with his hand. Again, his palm slotted perfectly into the back of my neck. His soothing mana energy flowed through me like aloe vera on a searing burn, and my rapid heartbeat began to slow.

"I need to disintegrate the arrows."

With a groan, I glanced down, my fingers still covered in blood.

"Now take a deep breath and hold it."

Peter cradled my neck in his palm, and his energy pricked my skin like the scraping of a needle. When I glanced down, the arrows dissolved until the fragments floated away in the afternoon breeze.

My addled brain couldn't understand. How did he heal me?

"And exhale," he ordered.

I did. And I instantly regretted it.

Stabbing pain pierced my chest like a thousand invisible needles. I cried out in agony. Layer by layer my muscles, organs, and soft tissues mended themselves from the inside out until a scab formed on my skin.

"Made it," Peter said, breathing a sigh of relief. "Just in time."

"Thank you," I whispered.

He disengaged his palm from my neck. "Now sleep."

❄️🔥❄️🔥

Squinting in the bright morning sun, I woke with a start and stared in a perplexed manner at walls of white. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I heard the bustling of nurses and beeping devices and noticed two injured initiates lying unconscious across from me.

Ah, the campus clinic.

In a dizzying whirl of thoughts, everything came back to me: the attack, the arrows, and Peter rescuing me from the brink of death. My stomach twisted in protest.

Sitting by my side on an uncomfortable metal chair, Bragda snored faintly.

"Bragda?"

"I'm awake, damn it!" she yelled as she woke up with a snort. My sister whipped her head towards me and pulled me into a hug. "Thank the gods, you're alive!"

I grimaced in pain when she squeezed me. "What happened?"

"You've been unconscious for two days, Liselle." She pulled back and swallowed visibly. "Some Gatál terrorists shot you."

"It was the Gatál?"

She nodded. "I thought Peter was just a fanatical Defender, but he saved your life. It seems he was right."

"Why me?"

"The Gatál just wanted to ruin our festival," Bragda said with a sneer.

"But why?"

"They think if they scare the people, the Ministry won't have the people's support to defend the Neutral Zone. You were just collateral damage."

"Do you think Peter knew because of a clairvoyant? If so, why would they allow the ceremony to take place?"

"No idea, but please promise me something." She patted my shoulder, and I grimaced. "Steer clear of Peter."

"Why would he help me if he wanted to hurt me?"

"I know he saved you," she said, "but we can't be sure if he has any ulterior motives."

"What could he possibly do?"

"Many Defenders work as the secret militant arm of the Ministry," she replied in a firm tone. "Don't mix with them, or you'll end up fucking dead!"

My throat turned dry, and I decided to change the subject. "What about the ceremony?"

"It was held yesterday in the auditorium."

"What?" I cringed with every painful breath. "Oh, gods! I missed it."

"It was pretty boring."

"You don't understand," I said. "I didn't initiate. I'll have to return home."

"Relax, bookworm. They're letting you take the sacred oath with next year's Initiates."

"Thank the gods!"

"Probably for the best," Bragda said with a shrug. "I mean no offense, but taking three classes is insane."

I gave her a skeptical look.

"Look, just relax. The Healers say you need plenty of rest." Bragda checked her timepiece. "I have class soon, so I gotta go."

I gave her a weak smile. "Thanks for standing by me."

She patted my hand before getting up and stretching. I waved goodbye as she marched off to combat training.

Unanswered questions floated to the surface of my mind like warning buoys before a storm. My mind desperately sought an anchor in order to make sense of the chaotic turn of events.

Was I really collateral damage, or was Peter there because I was a target?

I had to know the truth.