A Blue Paladin's Request

Lance twiddled his fingers as he paced the hall, his fingernails had already been chewed down to his fingertips, leaving jagged edges in its wake. He paused to look up, talking to an imaginary figure in front of him.

"Hi, Miss Keith's mom, I was wondering-- no... that's stupid..." He continued pacing before he paused again. "Hello, I'd like to ask for your blessing because I wish to wed your son." He face-palmed. "No, too formal. Quiznak!" He started again. "Krolia... I have a question for--"

In that instant, the door opened. "Oh... hello, Lance. Why are you standing outside my door? Can I help you with something?" Krolia asked.

Lance whirled around. "Krolia! Hi! I-I'm Okay! I don't need anything!" He tried and failed to smile nonchalantly. In all honesty, he probably looked constipated.

Krolia cocked her head to the side. "Really, because I heard you mumbling out here and I thought you had a concern... Did something happen? Does Allura wish to see me?"

"Oh! No no no no no! Nothing like that!" He replied quickly, waving the question away to reassure her.

Krolia furrowed her brows as she continued the guessing game. "Do you need help solving a problem?"

"Um... I-- no. It's more of a personal problem."

"Personal?" She looked to him in concern.

Oh great! Now she really does think I'm constipated! Lance was ready to rip his own hair out in frustration. Why couldn't he just say it already?!

"...Well I doubt I'll be able to help you with that... please excuse my ignorance, your customs are a bit foreign to me."

Lance laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head. "Riiiiiiight... you know how Keith is your son?"

"....yes. I am aware of that..."

"I mean... Yeah of course you are! Obviously! Heh! Stupid question.... So... uh... anyway... Keith and I have been spending a lot of time together over the last few decaphebes..." He paused to look up at Cahira nervously.

She nodded, still appearing confused. "You two are close..."

His shuffled his feet nervously. "Yep!"

"...Very close. It is as though there is an unknown language between you two... but it may be that you two are connected through Voltron."

"That's a possibility." You're losing it, you coward! Just ask already! "Um... Krolia..? I was wondering..."

Krolia looked to him with curiosity. Those eyes... Lance didn't have to wonder who Keith inherited them from. Quiznak! They were staring into his soul!

Lance took a deep breath. "I was wondering if... I could.... h-have your blessing t-to... marry Keith?" He allowed himself to breath, his heart ready to leap out of his chest. I said it.... oh quiznak, I actually said it! Now I hope I don't die under the blade of Xena Warrior Princess over here... Lance gulped nervously.

Krolia said nothing as she considered his words. Lance felt heat rise to his blushing face. He was quickly losing hope. Would she even allow such a thing? Maybe her culture wouldn't approve!

At long last, she opened her mouth to speak. "Have you talked to him yet?"

"N-no... I just thought I should talk to you first... because he's your only son..." Wait... was Keith an only child? Were there other Keiths running around the galaxy? His eyes widened. Well... there was other Keith but he's not technically related... right? Right?

Lance's stomach flipped when Krolia smiled. He couldn't help his small smile of relief at seeing her in such a good mood. "Lance, you are an honorable Paladin and I have nothing but respect for you." She placed her hand on his shoulder.

Oh no... she's gonna say no, isn't she? She was just giving me a false sense of security! What the Quiznak will I do if she says no?

"...It is for that reason that I wish you luck with my son. If he accepts your proposal, I wish nothing but joy for the rest of your lives together. I'd be proud to call you my son in law."

Lance didn't know what to say, his heart, which felt as though it would beat out of his chest from nerves, now felt as though it was going to explode from pure ecstasy. Lance beamed and shook her hand excitedly. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" He wanted to hug Krolia to show her how appreciative he was, but he assumed that doing so wouldn't be welcome, given her aversion to being touched. Lance bowed instead, never losing his beaming smile. "Thank you! Really, thank you!

Krolia chuckled. "I think you thanked me enough to last a couple decaphebes," she joked. "However..."

"Y-Yeah?"

"...If You break his heart, I'll break your bones. Blood is thicker than water. If blood doesn't approve, blood will spill. Bodies will turn to ash and you will cease to be."

Lance gulped. "I-I uh... I mean... I..."

Krolia laughed.

He nervously laughed along with her. Death threats... hilarious...

She looked to him with humor in her eyes. "I'm just messing with you! It's a tradition to test the suitor's bravery. In fact, the upper class in Galran society have trials that the suitor must undergo to be approved by the family of the chosen one."

"Trials?"

"Yes... to the death..."

"...Y-You Galra are an... intense bunch, aren't ya?"

"I never thought of it that way before... but I suppose so..."

"Are You going to make me... d-do--" He cleared his throat, attempting to sound less terrified. "...do the trials?"

She paused for a long time, considering the idea. "Actually, I don't find it necessary. You proved it countless times as a member of Voltron," she replied. "And besides,"she added. "...I've already been disowned by my people. I'm no longer Galra in their eyes. I am not required to follow their rules."

"Oh..." He clutched at his heart. He couldn't take any more of this emotional rollercoaster.