Dreams

This chapter has not been edited.

***

River stumbled back a little from my impact and after a little hesitation, he wrapped his arms around me. It was warm and comfortable and although it did ease my feelings a little, I felt shivers run up and down my spine at the thought of the assailant possibly watching us right now. I slightly pulled back and looked into River's soft eyes. All thoughts disappeared as I gazed into his eyes but the sudden coughing of someone broke me out of my trance. I looked around to see that we were right in the middle of a very busy emergency room, with multiple eyes trained right on us. 

I pulled out of his arms, embarrassed by what I had just done. 

River cutely rubbed the back of his head before turning back to his patient, leaving me to stand around. Barbara wordlessly helped him but occasionally looked up to give me a little smile. There was a glint in her eyes that I couldn't understand, but I didn't question her on it. Knowing Barbara, she would say something that wouldn't make sense to me and I wasn't in the mood for any of that. All I wanted was to make sure River was alright. 

Finally, they were done to with the patient. River pulled me to the side and proceeded by staring at me.

"What?" I asked, feeling lightheaded under his stare.

"Pretty sure, I'm the one who should be asking you that."

"Why?"

He looked at me as if I was high or something.

"Alright fine," I pouted, not knowing how to start the conversation. In the end, I just ended up explaining everything to him, from the start of my day, to useless information like meeting Theo to finding out about his stalker. 

His face turned cold the moment he hear me talk about his assailant. "You're not supposed to know about that."

"Yeah, well, it's not easy to hide when it's what they're working on."

River groaned, "I told Daniella to leave this case alone. Why does she have to snoop into everything?"

"Wait, you don't want them to find the bad guy?"

"There is no bad guy. There is an angry family member but that's it. He's not harmless at all." 

"He's sending you death threats."

"He's angry."

"Do you know who the assailant is?"

"No."

"Then why are you so sure?"

River sighed and took a seat on one of the waiting room chairs. "This isn't the first time a doctor is receiving threats. The most they ever want is an apology and some sort of compensation. No one is going to kill anyone over something we had no control over. After a few more letters, he'll make his proposition clear and it'll all end." 

"And you're sure about this?"

"Confident." 

But I wasn't. River was solely basing his situation to previous cases and as a lawyer, I couldn't just trust anyone. Anything was possible and with threats flying around, this situation was not one to be calm about.

"Tell Daniella to leave the case be. The elections are coming up and I don't want anything to get in the way of it. This is really important to me." 

"What elections?" 

"The board members will be voting for the next president. My uncles have been restlessly trying to get everyone on their side so I need to keep out of trouble so they don't have more reasons against me."