The Beginning

River Yates watched as his uncles fought with the lawyer over the inheritance his parents had left. Tears begged to fall out of his dark eyes but he would not allow it. There was still an hour of the funeral left and he did not want to look weak in front of all the guests who had attended. But his heart couldn't handle all the ugliness of his greedy relatives. They hadn't even finished burying his parents yet but they were already fighting over the inheritance. He wanted to shout and scream and kick them all out but he couldn't embarrass his parents like that. Even if they were gone, he knew he still needed to make them proud and act like a person worthy of being their son. 

He walked over to his lawyer and uncles and asked them if there was something wrong. His uncles gave him a disapproving look before turning back to the lawyer, completely ignoring him. Their actions only hurt his pained heart further but he still tried his hardest to hold back his tears. Fortunately for him however, his mother's father interrupted the commotion. 

"Don't worry about them, kid," his grandfather said, gently patting his back, "morons like them will just continue to make a fool of themselves until the very last second of their lives. If you worry about them, you'll only end up being as foolish as them, too."

The rest of the funeral went by in a blur. Everything happened so fast that he barely could find a time to say a final goodbye to his parents. But he did manage to find a few seconds and he hated that he had to do something like that so early on in his life. He felt upset that they were gone but more than anything, he felt angry that they had left him so fast. He still had so much time to grow into adulthood and so much more to achieve in his life and now he would have to do it all by himself without his parents' support. He was being forced to grow up too fast and he didn't know how to feel about all of it. 

And right after the funeral, with no time to recover over his parents death, was the rest of his life turned upside down. 

He walked into the family room in his large house to see the rest of his family all sitting, side-by-side. Some were looking beyond angry and others had a caring facade on. He was born into this family however, so he knew just how fake they all were.

"Oh, my dearest nephew," his Aunt Linda cried, "what will you poor child do now?" 

He held back the urge to roll his eyes. Instead he just shrugged. 

"Leave the boy be," Linda's husband Greg groaned. His voice had an underlying tone of anger laced all over it. "He has already gone through a lot today." 

"I just feel so sad for him," Linda replied. "I can relate to the pain of losing a parent." 

Linda had only been in the Yates family for a short while as she had married Greg only a couple of years ago after his first wife had left him, but she had still somehow already mastered the Yates' family trademark slyness. Everything she did had an ulterior motive so it was only natural for River to doubt her kind actions. 

Linda and Greg began talking to one another and the rest of the family got involved in the topic. River took this chance to run off to his room but before he could do so, his grandfather walked in with the family lawyer right beside him. 

"Good," his grandfather began, "since the whole Yates family is here, let us set all the inheritance matters straight. Go take a seat, lad," he said, pushing River towards and empty sofa. He took a seat beside him. 

All eyes were then trained on the lawyer.

Before he could even speak however, River's second uncle Joe pointed towards River's grandfather and asked, "He's not a Yates so shouldn't he leave? This is confidential family business."