Chapter 5

This chapter is kinda short, but I felt that it was necessary to add into the story, so that a bit more of (Y/N)'s nightmare could be cleared up (sorta but not really) and the important bond between (Y/N), Bev, and Bill could start to form.

———

Word Count: 653

"Wait. So you're telling me that in your dream—nightmare—last night, Bill called you, then the line cut out, and Pauline was talking about the rumor again? And then there was an evil clown that cut her off? And then that same clown hung up, barged into your house, and then started to choke you?" Bev asked (Y/N), trying to wrap her head around what her friend was telling her.

"Yeah. And...and then all of a sudden I woke up and realized it was a dream. I stayed up for a little while after that, but I soon fell back asleep. I had the exact same nightmare; everything was the same. The phone ringing, the order of the calls, and the clown—Pennywise—jumping at me, and trying to kill me." (Y/N) looked down at the table, avoiding the staring, confused eyes of both Bev and Bill.

"What I d-don't understand, is how y-y-y-you had the s-s-s-s-same exact n-n-nightmare in such a sh-sh-short s-span of time. It's weird, don't you th-think?" Bill questioned, glancing back and forth between (Y/N) and Bev.

"I guess so." Bev shrugged. She looked over at (Y/N), "You all right?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah I'm good. I just think that maybe we should start on our History project, right Bill? I mean, that is why we came here, isn't it?"

"Uh, yeah I guess we s-should. But d-don't you think it c-c-can wait? We have all—" he was cut off by (Y/N)'s chair being pushed back. She got out of her chair, and walked away from her friends, and towards the History section of the library. Bill frowned; he moved to go after his newfound friend, but Bev stopped him. She said that it was probably best to give her some space to try to focus on something other than her nightmare, which had most likely been haunting her all day. Bill agreed and sat with Bev, waiting for their friend to return to the table.

(Y/N) had to clear her head. She scanned the shelves of library, hoping to find a book or two for her project. She found a few on the current topic (A/N: I couldn't think of anything good enough to put as a topic, so I kept the topic unnamed...yeah...horrible idea, I know, but I didn't know what else to do. Plus it can be fun to leave things up to the imagination of the reader), and checked them out.

When she returned to the table, she saw that Bev was gone. Bill explained—stuttered through his explanation, would probably be a more accurate description—that Bev had forgot to mention her curfew change (made by her dad), and that instead of being home at 7pm like other kids, she had to be home at 6pm. It was close to 6:40, and it took about 15 minutes to get from the library back to Bev's apartment building.

(Y/N) nodded, and set her books down on the table. She and Bill stayed in the library until there were almost ten minutes left till 7:00. The two soon packed up their books, and biked home together, (Y/N) leaving first as her house was the closest.

This routine of the three kids—(Y/N), Bev, and Bill—heading to the library after school and working together on homework and projects, but avoiding the topic of (Y/N)'s nightmare, continued until the last day of school, when there were no more assignments to be passed out.

And even though their study sessions together we're over, their friendship wasn't, as the summer of 1989 brought on a multitude of unexpected, and terrifying events.

None of which anyone in Derry had imagined would unfold once more.