Pilot

CHAPTER 01: PILOT

-

Amalia Schultz lied on her bed as she stared at the blank page in her journal in front of her. The pen in her hand was swaying back and forth due to the fact that she didn't have anything to write. It was as if her mind was empty. Completely and utterly empty.

She heard a knock, bringing her attention over to the door just in time to watch her father walk into the room. He seemed hesitant to walk through the door. As if he thought that if he had come in she would scream at him or something.

"Dad." She closed the journal as if all of her internal thoughts were written on it, though the page was blank. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were awake." He explained his reason for checking up on her-- not that he needed one. "You have school today."

"Yep... I'm awake." The girl smiled at her father before noticing the closed book above her sheets.

"You're writing?" He asked, earning a nod from her in return.

"Trying to." Lia chuckled at the thought of her attempt to try to express her feelings through words on a piece of paper. "Elena seems to think that writing every one of your emotions down on paper helps, so I bought a diary, or whatever... It's not exactly working out as well as I had hoped."

"Well, the Schultz women have never really been too gifted in that area of expertise." Jeff Schultz chuckled as he remembered how his wife could barely even write an email.

"I do recall reading some very interesting birthday cards from mom." Lia saw her dad tense at the mention at her mother. It had been years since they had lost her, but he treated it like it was yesterday. "I miss her, too."

"I don't think a day will ever go by that I don't miss her." Her dad sat beside her on the bed, bringing a hand to her back to comfort her, but she knew it was mostly to keep himself together. Every time they discussed the missing piece of their family, he would completely shut down. "You look more and more like her every day."

Her lips parted and right as she started to respond, he cleared his throat and stood up on his feet. "All right, kiddo. Come on. It's almost time for you to go."

✰✰✰

"So Grams is telling me I'm psychic. Our ancestors were from Salem, witches and all that, I know, crazy, but she's going on and on about it, and I'm like, put this woman in a home already! But then I started thinking, I predicted Obama and I predicted Heath Ledger, and I still think Florida will break off and turn into little resort islands--" Bonnie cut herself off before noticing that Elena was no longer paying attention to what she was saying. "Elena! Back in the car."

"I did it again, didn't I? I--I'm sorry, Bonnie. You were telling me that..." Elena trailed off as she waited for Bonnie to tell her the story once again.