Chapter Thirty Seven

The Hole had been oblivious to the pair standing only a short distance away from its maw. At the sudden attention, it perked up. It had remained hidden, forgotten and dorment for so long, apart from the grumbling in its depths, it didn't know how to react. It smiled, as much as a hole can, anyway. In actual fact, holes can't smile. Their shape doesn't change unless affected by the elements or a big spade. This hole, the Hole, was different however. It began to glow.

Puddlebrain scratched her ear.

"Fleas?" asked Billy.

"What?"

"Every so often, you scratch our ear. Either you have an itch that keeps sneaking back, or you have an infestation." He shuddered. "A steam bath is known to help."

"I..."

Puddlebrain looked at her hand as if seeing it for the first time. She turned it, wiggling the fingers.

"Oh," she said.

"Oh?"

"I do that sometimes," she said.

"I know," said Billy. "I just said so. Does it mean something?"

"Yes,"

"Well?"

"What?"

"What does it mean? You witches are the worst!"

"Erm... It means something bad is happening. Or has happened. Or is going to happen." She shrugged, not realising she'd even been doing it.

"Well," sighed Billy, "that's comforting. At least you're specific in your madness."

The Hole, wondering how its luminosity was going unnoticed, gritted its non-existent teeth and squeezed a little more light up from its depths. Puddlebrain's finger was still pointing in its direction but they were too engrossed in their conversation to look that way.

"Fine," said the gnome. "Let's g..."

Now he looked. Now he saw the glow.

"It looks like you were right," he said.

"It had to happen sooner or later," said the witch.

Billy didn't notice her comment, or he would have leapt on the opening it gave him to make a perfectly sarcastic retort and ridden it all the way home. He approached the Hole carefully.

"Billy," whispered Puddlebrain. "Wait."

He ignored her. The light was warm. It was inviting. It made him want to touch it and climb down into its cocoon. Her sudden hand on his shoulder snapped him from his daze.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I..." Billy looked confused. He shook his head, blinking. "I'm going down that there hole, obviously," he said. "That's where you said, so that's what I'm doing. You joining me or not?"

Puddlebrain frowned but didn't say anything more. She simply nodded, wondering what it was about the strange light from the Hole that had so entranced her friend.

"Is that you?" he asked.

"Is what me?"

"That shimmering. The humming. Is it you?"

"I can't hear any humming and the light is steady."

"My ears are bigger than yours. My eyes too. Trust me – it's unsteady and it's humming."