Chapter 21: Sister

"So you talked things out with Michael, huh?" Katie asked as Tray led her and her companions toward the castle library.

"Mhm," Josh answered, nodding.

"What'd you talk about?"

"Yesterday."

"Oh. Wanna share any details? And, Michael, it's okay for you to talk too. But keep in mind that doesn't mean I'm on good terms with you yet."

"Oh. O-Okay," Michael replied quietly.

"Oh, and what's with the stuttering?" she asked him. "I mean, I know you're sometimes shy and all but you seem legitimately nervous for some reason."

"Really? Oh, s-sorry," Michael said nervously. He instantly tensed up again, though. "I just did it again, didn't I?"

"Hey, you alright?" Josh asked, laying a hand on Michael's shoulder.

"I guess. There's just.... a lot on my mind," he said.

"That makes two of us," Josh replied and let his arm fall back to his side.

"Make that three," Katie added with a sigh.

"You all are moody as hell." Tray let out a small laugh.

The twins looked at him, displeased. "Shut up," they fired back.

"And Katie, we'll fill you in on everything once we get to this so-called library," Josh informed his sister. She gave him a nod in reply.

For the next minute, the group of four walked in silence through the castle's hallways. It wasn't a comfortable silence, nor really an awkward one either. It was more of an uneasy, stiffling silence, and the fact that the twins and Michael still weren't completely comfortable with each other yet just made it worse. Michael almost had to stifle a sigh of relief once they arrived at their destination.

The door to the library was large--around eight or nine feet tall and a yard or so in diameter. It was slightly translucent, meaning you could just barely see the shelves and tables that lay beyond it. The color of the door was a glossy blue with silver lining that made it stand out against the pale blue of the castle's walls. There was no doorknob.

"If the door looks this pretty then who knows what the inside'll be like," Katie commented.

Josh decided to go up to the door and press his face against it, trying to see what's on the other side more clearly. "Books," was all he could think of to say. "Lots and lots of books."

Tray took a step forward and gave the door a gentle push. Just like that, it opened swiftly and suddenly.

"Ack-" Josh exclaimed as the door gave way before him. He lost his balance and fell onto the ground with a thud. With a chuckle, Tray walked into the library.

Katie bent down and held her hand out to brother.

"I really don't understand what you see in that guy..." Josh said as he rolled onto his side and allowed Katie to hoist him back up to his feet. Katie raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"What guy?"

"You kno-uh, nevermind," he shook his head, dismissing whatever he'd just brought up. But Katie persisted anyway.

"Do you mean Tray?" She asked, tilting her head to one side. She took a quick glance at the mentioned guy, who was walking further into the library. "Josh, I don't see anything in him. He's hopeless. Back there he was only helping me learn some new spells."