Chapter 11: Michael's Powers

"Okay, so you already know the basics," Katie said, putting on her teacher voice. "Anyone can do this."

She put her arms out in front of her, aiming at a tree. From her palms she fired a simple energy beam. When it struck its target the tree shook but stayed upright.

"But how would you like to something cooler, like this for example?" Josh asked. Facing the same tree Katie struck, he stomped his right foot on the ground, which caused large crystals to materialize underneath the tree, practically uprooting it. Michael was awed, to say the least.

"In order to do more 'personalized' spells you gotta know where your power comes from," Katie said, then hesitated for a moment at a realization. "But I don't exactly know how that would work, considering you weren't born with powers."

Michael's face fell for a moment upon hearing this.

Katie's face lit up. "Wait!" But she second-guessed herself once again. "No, never mind. That wouldn't make sense."

Josh tapped a finger on his chin and looked at his sister. "Okay, so basically you're the one who gave Mike his powers in the first place, right? So that would mean his powers originate from you . . ."

Both Katie and Michael looked at him in curiosity. What could he possibly be getting at?

"And if they originate from you, then that would mean . . ." he stopped as his brows lifted and the slightest hint of a smile could be briefly seen on his face.

Michael's curiosity got the best of him, so he asked Josh what he was smiling about.

"I can't tell you until I explain it first," Josh shook his head. "Okay, so remember yesterday when we were fighting against Tray? That was when you found out you had powers, right?"

Both Mike and Katie nodded, signaling for him to continue.

"Before then, I don't think anyone could sense that you had them. I know I couldn't. But now I can. So basically what I'm saying is that your powers only worked once you realized they were there."

Katie flashbacked all the way back to the day she discovered she had powers-nearly five years ago. Up until then she had no idea they were there and she couldn't feel them within her at all. But as soon as she found out she was magical . . .

"I think I get what you're talking about," she said. "I know the same thing went for me back when Elvira first showed up. But . . . what does this have to do with finding out what Michael's power actually is?"

"I didn't finish talking yet," Josh said. "Anyway, we all know that you're the reason why Mike has powers, right? And your power is the Crystal Flame. So what do you think Mike's powers would be, giving that you were the one who gave him powers?"

The three of them stood in silence, all with excited grins slowly creeping onto their faces.

"No, don't tell me." Michael put an arm out and tried to materialize something in it. A glowing shape appeared in his hand, and once it stopped glowing it was revealed to be a sword made of orange-colored crystals.

"I knew it!" Josh exclaimed happily and triumphantly.

Out of her happiness Katie hugged Michael tightly and didn't let go. "You have no idea how happy this makes me."

"Oh yeah? Well I'm probably even happier than you are," he hugged her back.

Immediately Katie tore apart from the embrace with a huge smile on her face and looked at both him and Josh. "You know what we should do? We should make some kind of . . . cool . . . awesome . . . special attack thing. Like a convergence spell that we can use while fighting enemies."

"That would be so epic," Josh said. "Just think of it. A Crystal Flame super attack spell. How cool is that?"

"Very cool," Mike answered. "But we need to think of how it would work, what it would look like, we need a name for it . . ."

"We'll figure all that out later," Katie said. "For now, let's just teach you how to properly use your powers."

Sorry for the short chapter! The next one will be longer, I promise!