41//

"Love makes you feel out of control. I think that's how you know it's right."

-Danny Diamond

* * *

The silky fabric is soft to the touch, it drapes over my body, falling perfectly over my curves. Grams lets the last curl drop down my back, it's warm on my naked skin. She tells me to look at her before painting my face with makeup, highlighting my cheekbones and outlining my top lid with a sharp wing of eyeliner. 

She steps back and examines her work before holding up a single finger. "One thing is missing, wait here." She dashes into her master suite before emerging with a pair of blood red heels and lipstick to match. "You're lucky I still had these old gifts, or else you would have nothing to wear tonight." She comments about the black dress and strappy heels that once were supposed to be gifted to her friends daughter. 

With a soft hand she tilts my chin up and coats my lips with the bold red color. I place my feet in the shoes, happily surprised when they fit perfectly before tying them up my ankles. Grams stands in front of me with her hands on her hips, a loose fitted white dress hangs on her thin body, and a golden shawl wraps around her shoulders. 

I breathe in, knowing Roman is in the other room, dressed in a tailored tux and looking as handsome as ever. Every year Gram's holds a charity party on Christmas Eve, one of those party's where everyone is dressed in designer brands, with ungodly expensive jewelry hanging off their necks. Grams has always been passionate about helping others, it's the only reason she began holding the party in the first place seeing as it's not really her scene. 

She hustles out of the bedroom. "The guests will begin arriving in 30 minutes." She calls out over her shoulder. The house smells of freshly baked rolls and cookies, as I step out into the living room. Roman stands from his spot on the couch as I enter, the click clack of my heels must have warned of my arrival.

He turns and sucks in sharply as his eyes roam over my body. His lips part and his usually bright irises are tinted. Swallowing thickly, he walks over to me slowly, making my heart beat harder with each step. "God you're breathtaking." He says in a whisper like he's afraid if he says it too loud the spell will be broken.

"Thank you." I say, and he breaks out into a smile. A beautiful kind smile, the kind that could make you fall in love in an instant. A gentle grin plays on my lips, one without my control, one that I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. "Come on let's go help Grams."

When we enter the kitchen we're greeted by a swarm of unknown faces, Grams glances at us upon our arrival and greets us with a warm smile. "What can we help with?" I question, striding over toward her. 

She grabs my hands with a gentle grip, and Roman hovers behind me, his chest just barely missing my back. "Oh darling we have enough people working in here, you two can just relax until everybody arrives." I open my mouth to protest when she holds up a finger silencing me. "You're my guests tonight, enjoy yourselves." 

Mumbling a response, I allow Roman to pull me away from the crowded room. An hour later the house is filled with people dressed in extravagant dresses and fancy suits. A woman in a long chiffon emerald dress stands before me, and the only thing I can think about is how her dress matches her eyes perfectly. Not only by the color but by the way they capture your attention immediately, leaving you dazed and unable to look away. 

She appears to be my mothers age and something about her seems fiercely familiar but I don't know how. "Felicity." I don't ask how she knows my name, all the guests seem to know it somehow yet I don't know any of theirs. Roman's arm laces around my waist and he pulls me protectively to his side, his familiar warmth brings me comfort and puts me at ease.