29//

"We both have a war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us."

-Veronica Ross

* * *

So we drive. And drive. And drive.

Trees colossal and thick, and frail and thin blur pass us. Along with buildings and homes and a variety of vehicles. Everything becomes one, morphing together to create a beautiful rhythmic dance. The silence gives me peace, it's relaxing and alluring, unlike the week I've been having so far. 

With most people I would begin to feel uneasy with this type of quiet, but Roman is a different story. Just being around him makes me feel safe, and warm for no real reason, he's like a remedy to me. 

He pushes up the blinker and a soft tick tick travels throughout the small space. Tick tick tick. We pull into a rest stop, one with a built in McDonald's and a small store to buy essentials at. Semi trucks maneuver throughout the area, burly men entering and leaving the building before us as Roman pulls into a parking space. 

"I don't know about you, but I'm fucking starving," He says while cutting the engine. He pats his toned stomach as if to add effect to his words and emphasis just how hungry he actually is. I roll my eyes as he gets out of the car and runs into the store like a kid in a candy shop. 

Following his example, I go the opposite direction to stop by the ladies room before jumping into the McDonalds line. I tap my finger against my lip as I read the menu stationed high on the wall. I'm trying to decide whether or not a mcflurry is worth it when a hand clamps down onto my wrist, and fingers grip me urgently.

Roman's shades are clipped onto his collar, giving me a view of the fear frozen inside his eyes. "We have to go. Now." I scrunch my eyebrows together and try to shake free of his hold, but it's firm and unwavering.

"Roman I just got into line, I haven't even ordered yet." He releases me, leaving behind an angry red blotch in his wake. I rub the spot, trying to return my skin to it's natural tone. His eyes blink down to my movement, regret swirling in his irises as they connect with mine again. 

He breathes in deeply and lowers his head, his voice strained and soft as if not to raise any attention to us. "I know, I'm sorry we can stop later but right now we need to leave." His eyes dart in every direction, like he's paranoid someone's going to jump out at us any second. 

Slowly I nod my head and that's all it takes for him to entwine our fingers and pull me from the line. His strides are frantic; so fast and feverish it's hard for me to keep up, I feel a knitted doll being dragged across the dirty floor by a five year old girl, or in this case a seventeen year old boy. 

He races us through the maze of aisles, the repetition making me feel slightly dizzy as we make it to the colossal glasses doors. He hits them open, so forcefully it actually hits the wall with a loud bang. "What's going on?" My tone sounds shaky to my own ears. He shushes me immediately, the sound like ocean waves crashing into the land. 

He stands slightly in front of me as we dash to the car, the cool air whipping into our skin. He digs for the keys, and pushes me low so we're both squatted down as if not to be seen over the vehicle. My heart beats wildly, a sinking feeling embedding my intestines, and after a moment I finally see why. 

Standing in a crease of the brick wall are two men. The shadows caressing them cause them to appear barley noticeable but there's no mistaking where their gaze is pinpointed. They examine Roman's car, but not in the same fascination a teen age boy infatuated with cars might, no this is analytical and all too knowing.