Well, that made two of you, then, because you'd been nervous since the second you stepped out onto the roof. It was nice to know that both of you were currently out of your comfort zone with this situation. Especially since it meant that he didn't show such intimate gestures often, if ever.

"Can't say I've ever had someone do this for me before, so I wasn't sure if I'd be that type of woman, either. Turns out that I am."

"Sounds like you were hanging around the wrong fucking douchebags," he commented.

"Does that mean you're the right douchebag?" you threw back with a grin.

His eyes twinkled, and just like that, the nervous energy dissipated, as you both fell back into the banter that had always come so easily between the two of you.

"Wait until the night is over, and then you can let me know," came his retort.

"Oh, I plan on giving you a full Yelp review, when we're done. Can't have anyone else making the mistake of taking the Negan Rooftop Experience if it only warrants a 2-star rating."

He gave a chuckle, and the two of you continued to make small talk while finishing the remaining bites of pasta. Finally, unable to curtail your curiosity any longer, you asked a question that had been on your mind since the start of the meal.

"So-," you waved your pasta-filled fork in an arc to encompass the table, "-what made you decide to go with this, rather than dinner in your room?"

Putting down his own fork and wiping his mouth on the napkin, he took his time in responding. The flicker of the candle reflected in his hazel eyes, his gaze boring into your own as he slowly drawled, "I figured it was more...private."

Heat twisted in your gut. Trying to play it off, you joked, "Well, I definitely don't think anyone will think to come up here looking for us, so brownie points for creativity."

As if to make a liar out of you, at that very moment you heard a voice from behind you say, "Dessert is served!"

Jumping like a startled cat, you dropped your fork on the plate and whipped your head around to see Simon approaching the table with a tray in his hand. So much for private and no interruptions, you thought with a glare at the tall, ever-smiling man who approached the table. He set two plates down on the table, appearing completely oblivious to your less-than-positive reaction to his presence as he swept your pasta plates onto his tray and refilled the water glasses. Then, with a toothy grin and a small bow, he was gone.

Looking down, you gave a slight gasp of delight at the sight of what was on the plate in front of you. It was a piece of chocolate cake, and it looked delicious.

"How did...who made this?" you asked, taking in Negan's pleased grin at your reaction. There hadn't been any dessert on tonight's dinner menu, and there definitely hadn't been chocolate cake on any of the dinner menus for this month. You never had enough cocoa and eggs to make cakes for the entire compound, despite secretly wishing for such a sweet treat on more than one occasion.

"I have my ways," he said with a twinkle in his eyes, watching as you picked up your fork and took a bite. The twinkle darkened when you let out a small, involuntary moan as the fluffy, rich chocolate hit your tongue.

Embarrassed by your reaction, you swallowed and affirmed, "This is really good. Better than good. It's delicious."

You slammed another forkful of cake into your mouth before you rambled even more and made a complete fool out of yourself. Thankfully, Negan let it go, and took a bite of his own slice, nodding in approval as he experienced the decadent taste for himself.