Falling Into Place

Stepping outside the front door of the compound, you felt sweat immediately start to bead on the back of your neck as you walked into what felt like a wall of humidity. Squinting as the bright sunlight bore down, you tried to loosen your death grip on Ricardo...tried to look calm and in control, and not like you were about to try and escape the compound. Bringing up your free hand to shield your eyes from the sun, you felt a dart of hope and excitement to see that Dwight was, indeed, still on gate duty.

You had seen him at the front gate earlier today, when you had been sitting at the picnic table unsuccessfully trying to read. When you had then run into Negan and...

No, stop it! you scolded. Now was not the time to let thoughts of him take control. You had to focus, if you wanted to pull this off and get past the fences.

You knew from observation that those on gate and fence duty switched shifts around 6pm, which was halfway through the two hours that dinner was served. This way, whoever had the evening shift could eat during the first half of dinner, before relieving the day shift workers from their posts. This then gave those on day shift time to go to the cafeteria and eat during the second half of dinner. If you could get past Dwight now, then he would be leaving his post in a little over an hour, and would hopefully not inform the evening shift of your "mission". It was a lot of hoping on your part, but at this point, you didn't care what Dwight did after you left, so long as you could get him to open that damn gate.

Striding across the gravel towards him, you put a determined, no-nonsense look on your face. After your last conversation with Dwight, it was safe to say that he wasn't your biggest fan, but that was fine. Not everyone had to like you...but, you would make sure that they did listen to and respect you.

Dwight watched you approach, and you made direct eye contact with him, not letting your gaze flinch or look downwards. Stopping in front of the fences, you cleared your throat and raised eyebrows expectantly, as if expecting him to just open the gate without any questioning. This wasn't successful, obviously, but it still worked in your favor to look impatient and annoyed with any dilly dallying.

"What do you want?" Dwight asked neutrally.

"You to open the gate," you flatly replied.

"And why, exactly, would I do that?" he said with a grin, as if you were amusing him.

Giving him an icy stare, you let one corner of your lips curl upwards slowly, as if you knew a secret that he didn't. "Fine, don't open it. I'll just go and tell Negan that you kept me from fulfilling his orders."

You saw uncertainty flash across Dwight's face, his grin disappearing and eyes darting nervously behind you, almost as if he were expecting Negan to appear out of thin air.

Looking back at you, he slowly said, "What orders?"

Rolling your eyes skyward, you opened your mouth and gave a loud sigh. "Look, it's not my fault if he didn't inform you ahead of time. I was told to come out here before dinner, go in the woods, and retrieve a bin of berries that Negan has waiting. Now, if you want to waste time and go ask him to confirm this, by all means, go ahead. But I guaran-fucking-tee that he won't appreciate you interrupting him right now, and putting me behind schedule with pointless questions."

When Dwight didn't immediately respond, you crossed your arms and tapped a foot impatiently while adding, "So, what'll it be? You going to open the damn gate, so that I can do what I'm supposed to, and we can both get on with our lives? Or, do you want me to wait here, while you go double check with Negan, and most likely piss him off?"

Dwight was silent, scrutinizing you closely, as if to find fault in your words. However, you calmly returned his gaze. If there was one person in this entire compound who you felt sure you could get to open the gate, it was Dwight. He was the one person who had witnessed just how close you and Negan were....well...had been. But Dwight probably didn't know about your falling out with Negan. And after how pissed Negan had been the last time Dwight interrupted you out in the woods, it was unlikely that he would want to risk Negan's anger again, especially where you were concerned. That fear and uncertainty was what you were currently depending on, because if Dwight did decide to go check with Negan, then you were utterly fucked.