Simmering Jealousy

Negan walked over and propped a hip on the counter a couple feet away from the stove. Without even glancing in your direction, he lifted the arm not holding Lucille and swept it out in front of him while commanding, "The fuck you all staring at? Get back to work!"

It was as if someone had hit play on a movie that had previously been paused; everyone jolted into action at the same time, some people bumping into one another in their clamor to get to their designated posts. The previous light-hearted atmosphere was gone and in its place was an eerie silence and cold professionalism that made you, and probably everyone else, feel instantly on edge.

Much as you wanted to put some space between you and Negan, the food on the stove couldn't be left unattended since it was almost finished. A sigh of relief left you when Negan stood up off the counter and wandered over to where a female staff member named Trixie was pulling rolls out of the oven and arranging them in baskets to be set on the cafeteria tables. Discreetly watching out of the corner of your eye, you saw Negan reach into one of the baskets and pick up a roll with his gloved hand. A quiet snort of laughter escaped you at the look on his face when he popped the still scalding-hot roll into his mouth and realized his mistake. Served him right, trying to steal food before it was finished being prepared.

You almost rolled your eyes when not even a few seconds later Trixie hurried to offer Negan a cool glass of water to combat the burn of the overheated ball of dough. He took the glass and said something inaudible to the girl, but you were sure it had the word "doll" or "sweetheart" in it because a blush heated the young girl's cheeks and she all but fluttered her lashes in response. Trixie had just arrived at the compound a few days ago and had been assigned to the kitchen staff. She looked young, barely over 18, and flirted with everything that moved. You didn't look down on her for it; she was an attractive young girl and during times like these people had to work with whatever strengths they had been gifted. It was actually a wonder Negan hadn't asked her to be one of his wives yet. Perhaps going after jailbait was beyond even his sometimes questionable morals. Feeling your stare, she looked over in your direction. Her eyes widened at the stern look on your face and she mouthed "sorry" before grabbing a couple baskets of rolls and taking off for the door leading to the cafeteria.

Turning back to the stove, you stirred the contents of the pot a little more furiously than needed. It's not like you cared if Negan flirted with the girl, but the least he could do was keep it out of your kitchen. Granted the kitchen wasn't yours per se, but it would be a lie to say you didn't feel as if it were. Not to mention that you were protective of both it and your staff, which was why you had silently warned Trixie away from Negan. Yes, that was why you had given her that look; there was no other possible reason. Your subconscious tried to whisper liar but the prideful part of you quickly beat the subconscious to a pulp.

You felt the hair along your arms and back of your neck stand to attention, a reaction you were quickly realizing signified that Negan was near. You felt more than saw him come up behind you and peer over your left shoulder at the contents of the pots on the stove. He once again propped a hip on the counter, this time so close that if you lifted your arm it would be easy to reach out and touch him.

"Not sure what that sludge is, but at least it doesn't smell like shit," he jeered.

Sludge?! You were quite proud of yourself for taking the extra jars of peanut butter and canned vegetables in the pantry and concocting a creative new recipe.

Looking up at him with what was hopefully a calm expression you replied dryly, "It's a peanut sauce for the stir fry. Hope you're not allergic to nuts."

"Never broke out in any fucking hives while jerking off, so apparently I'm safe."

Unable to come up with any response other than to gap your mouth open and shut like a fish, you decided to stick with silence and stay focused on the "sludge" bubbling on the stove.