Ring Pop (Kyle x Reader)

You cheered as Kyle held up the Stick. After a particularly brutal battle with the humans, the elves finally had the Stick back. Almost all of the elven warriors, many your friends, had taken some pretty hard blows. You felt a tap on your shoulder and turned to see a grinning Stan. “Stan!” you exclaimed, and attacked him with a death hug. You had seen him be knocked out in battle and worried as he was taken to the healer’s tent for the regenerating power of junk food snacks.
                “Y/n,” he gasped, “Can’t… breath.”
                “Sorry,” you said with a nervous laugh as you released him. “But it’s your fault for getting hurt!” you scolded in jest.
                “Yeah, and by Butters!” Stan cried. He sighed dramatically. “My pride has been wounded. Hold me, y/n!” With a laugh, you took him in your arms as you played along.
                “Aw, poor baby,” you said, trying not to laugh as Stan completely over acted.
                Unbeknownst to you, you were being watched by a rather nervous and unconfident elven king. He had visited Stan in the healer’s tent for a pep talk earlier, but at the moment all that confidence drained away as he watched you laugh and hold his dramatic, raven haired friend.
                Ever since you joined the elves, Kyle hadn’t been able to get his mind off of you. At first it was just a quiet, little voice in the back of his mind, reminding him every once in a while how good you were at sparring that day or how well you defeated a certain enemy in battle. But that little voice had slowly gotten louder and expanded to every part of his brain, so now every thought he had was somehow related to you.
                Now he was constantly reminded how bright your smile was. Or that little sway and skip in your step when the elves had a victory. Or your laugh... God, that laugh! It wasn’t like other girl’s laughs, not that bitchy, sarcastic laugh or obnoxious flirty laugh. It was awkward and quirky and just so… y/n.
                Kyle loved your laugh, so when you stopped laughing so much, he noticed right away. After finding out you were self-coconscious about it after being teased, he tracked down those who did it and made sure they got their due. Nobody made his y/n be anything but herself. Nobody.
                His y/n. He liked the sound of that. Kyle sighed as he watched you roll your eyes when Stan said something and drop him to the ground. The raven haired boy landed with a thud and feigned hurt. He said something, making you laugh. Kyle closed his eyes and took a moment to relish in the sound.
                It was then that Jimmy started to play and everyone started to dance. Stan jumped to his feet and gave a gentlemanly bow, asking for a dance. With a laugh, you gave him your hand and let him lead you to the circle of dancing elves.
                Kyle felt his heart break as his friend twirled and dipped you. Tears stinging his eyes, he retreated back onto his tent. He sat down on his private throne, trying to block out the sound of your and Stan’s laughter.
                Stan had caught Kyle watching him and you dance and quickly realized what had happened when the elven king disappeared into his tent. He cursed at himself for acting so when he remembered what Kyle had planned to do. Now, thanks to his dumb ass, his best friend will probably never confess to you and most likely hated his guts to boot. Stan sighed, knowing he had to fix this.
                “I’ll be right back,” he told you as he handed you off to another elf. Shrugging, you continued to dance as Stan walked to the king’s tent.
                “Kyle?” he asked as he walked in. He found his friend on his throne, depressed and crying.
                “You should be with y/n,” he commented.
                “Kyle,” Stan started but his friend cut him off.
                “Save it, Stan. I get it. You and y/n are perfect together. I’ll back off. You should go back out there and celebrate with her.”
                “All right, that’s it,” Stan said. With a surprising amount of strength, he pulled the king to his feet. “For the last time, y/n is my best friend, like a fucking sister. Why the fuck do you think she’s single? I’ve been chasing off all the dumb asses who try to get to her. But you, I know you would treat her right, dude. It’s time to stop wallowing around in self-pity and go get her!”
                Kyle stared at his friend with wide eyes. This meant he had a chance! A wave of fear passed through him as he peeked between the tents folds, watching you dance in the middle of a large group of elves. Stan placed a hand on the red head’s shoulder. “I can bring her here, if you want,” he offered. Kyle nodded and Stan gave him a smile as he gave his friend a pat on the shoulder and went to get you.
                 Excitement rippled through Kyle. He was finally going to tell you! Suddenly, he froze as that thought sunk in. He was finally going to tell you… Fear flooded him as his breaths became shaky. He couldn’t do it. He would have to tell Stan he’d do it some other time. He wasn’t ready. He wasn’t rea-
                “Stan said you needed me?” Your voice broke through Kyle’s thoughts as he turned to see you standing there. Stan gave the king one final encouraging smile before disappearing outside, leaving Kyle alone with you. He swallowed nervously and nodded.
                “Yeah. I need… I need to talk to you about something.”
                “Okay,” you said, “Is this about the battle? I know a lot of our men took some hard hits, but I talked to the healer. Other than the fact we’re low on doughnuts, he says we’re fine.” Kyle chuckled at that. Doughnuts were popular among injured elves. He shook his head.
                “No, it’s not that,” he said smiling. His smile slowly vanished and he turned around, away from you, as he worked up the courage to say what needed to be said.
                “Kyle?” you asked softly. You were getting worried. You’ve never seen your friend so out of it. The elf took a few breaths.
                “Y/n,” he started, “you’ve been with us for a while now. And it’s time for you to know something.” He turned around to face you. “As you know, every kingdom needs a king.”
You looked at him confused. The elves have a king. Him! Where the hell was he going with this?
“But,” he continued, walking up to you, “just like in chess, a king is useless without a queen.” He pulled a ring pop out of his robe pocket, took your left hand in his, and gently slid the candy ring onto your finger. “Y/n, will you give me the honor of being my queen?”
You stared at him, speechless. How the fuck were you supposed to react to that? Any normal, sane person would most likely have smiled and said, “Yes,” or “Of course!” But obviously you are not a normal, completely sane girl. So what did you do? You grabbed the ridiculously adorable king by the collar of his robe and pulled him in for a long overdue kiss.
After getting over his initial shock, Kyle placed his hands on your waist and gently pulled you closer to him. Reluctantly breaking the kiss for air, you stared into his inhumanly green eyes as he leaned his forehead against yours.
“Should I take that as a ‘yes’?” he asked with a small smile.
“What the fuck took you so long?” you asked breathlessly. Kyle only laughed and pulled you in for another kiss.