18; mount weather

"Do I dare

disturb the universe?"

— T. S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

➳ ➳ ➳

THE PATROLS HAD LEFT AT THE BREAK OF DAWN. Octavia and Indra's group had headed to the reaper tunnels, and Raven's to the dam. Naomi was with the last: a squadron waiting outside the main door, ready to blow it open. She sat at the back of the group, upon a rock with her sword lay on her lap. Ley stood behind her.

A drill was working through the stone doorway at the front. It carved a long hole through the mechanism and into the locking system. If Raven was right, an explosive should break it open. "That should do it," Monroe said. She stepped away from the machine and turned to Clarke. "Bombs away."

Naomi stood then, pushing past the army and hobbling awkwardly towards Clarke. She had gotten rid of her crutches all together, now. The girl stopped beside her friend, leaning on the base of her sword for support against her aching torso. 

The guards picked up the drilling mechanism and took it away.

"Be careful," Clarke warned. David Miller and Lincoln stepped towards the doorway. David held the explosive in his hands.

Lexa turned to look towards the dam walls. "Archers, ready!" she exclaimed. The grounders raised their bows towards the top of the walls.

Naomi turned towards it too. She pulled her bow from over her back, cradling the carved wood in her gloved hands. Naomi drew an arrow from her quiver, loaded it, and aimed the weapon towards any potential targets. The strain pulled against her arms and torso.

Clarke was there before Naomi could hold the string any longer. "Hey, I thought I told you no physical activity." She slowly pulled the bow towards the ground, where Naomi dropped the string with a sigh. Her gaze scanned towards the walls, but found no movement. She let her bow hang by her side.

The army stood back, and waited for the signal.

➳ ➳ ➳

Naomi never recalled falling asleep, but she must have slipped off at some point, because the next thing she remembered was waking to the red of Ley's hair. She sat up, disorientated as Ley moved away from the older girl. Naomi blinked slowly and brought her hand up to her forehead.

Her back ached from the hard rock, and her hair was spread across her face. It appears she had been sleeping on Ley's shoulder.

Ley looked sleepy too, though the sharpness in her eyes revealed that she had been asleep. She sat up straighter. "Nothing has happened," she assured Naomi. The sky had begun to fall dark again, and the army still stood in front of them. Clarke and Lexa were side-by-side, staring intently at the doorway and lit by the light of the rising moon.

They were still waiting.

The moon had risen past midnight, stars looking down on them in recognition. The night was silent and cold. Naomi pulled her jacket further around her shoulder and stared back at the doorway.

Gunshots rang out from the distance, and instinctively Naomi leapt from her position on the rock. She already had her sword in hand. The army looked towards the high walls, though no shooters were in sight. The gunfire continued, distant and echoing.

Naomi approached Clarke. "It's coming from the dam," she said, looking towards the high walls that separated them from Raven.

"Raven will get it done," Monroe assured her. The girl crossed her arms over her chest. "She's one of us."