Chapter 23

There was no way out. I was stuck in here until someone opens the door. I didn't expect any of the crew members to open it, but I did expect Kishi to let me out.

I soon hear the cries of whales, which causes a sickening feeling in my stomach when I hear it. I was glad I wasn't up on deck. Whatever was going on out there I don't think I could bear it.

I thought of trying the door again, see if there was some way of unlocking it so I could get out. I climb up the stairs and peek through the window near the door. There I saw two crew members standing nearby, holding onto Ryan on either side. He struggles to free himself from their grip, but they held on tightly.

The door opens and I stand aside as Ryan is pushed down the stairs. I go to sneak past the men, but one of them grabs me. The man says something in Japanese, and then pushes me down the stairs. I land beside Ryan.

"Are you alright, Ashley?" he asks me.

I sit up, nodding.

Ryan turns to the men. "Let us go, you sick people!"

The men ignore him as they close the door behind them.

I threw my arms around Ryan. "I'm so glad to see you, Ryan."

"I am too." He pulls away and gives me a quick kiss. "I had to come aboard to get you and Kishi when they captured you."

"I don't know what's happening with Kishi or why she isn't down here with us. I don't even understand Japanese."

"I understand a little. I don't think Kishi is going to be thrown down here with us. Not by her own father. But be glad you were down here and not up on deck, being force to watch them slaughter a pod of humpback whales."

A cry escapes my lips. Ryan pulls me into another hug. At that moment I hear the cries of more whales. What kind of people can do this sort of thing without any feeling disgraceful for what they were doing?

I pull away. "Where's Alexis? They don't have her too, do they?"

Ryan shakes her head. "I hope they don't have her. Alexis is still on the boat. I told her to stay there while I came to rescue you and Kishi. Cleo also followed us out here, so I told Alexis to watch her."

"What is Cleo doing here? She will get killed!"

Ryan rests his hands on my arms. "No. She won't be killed. I will make sure Isshi won't get to her."

I give him a small smile. I then look around the room, wondering where a way out was possible. We couldn't stay in here forever. We had to get out and stop the whalers. But in the back of my mind I knew we were stuck in here until someone allows us to leave.

Like Ryan knew what I was thinking, he says, "We will get out of here, Ashley. It's most likely my Dad is on his way here, ready to yell at us for putting ourselves in danger. I don't know how far away he is or how he will get to us without a boat. He will get us out of here. Your dad is most likely on his way here too. I told them our position."

I sit down on a chair. In my mind, I imagine how furious Dad was going to be when he finds us. I deserved to be yelled at for running off like I did without his consent or notifying him where I was going. But I hope that once he sees what Ryan and I have been trying to do, he won't be so angry. I can still hear the things he had said yesterday afternoon when I returned home.

"I don't know if I'm ready to see my dad," I say. "Not after the argument we got into last night."

Ryan pulls out a chair beside me and sits down. He takes my good hand and rubs his thumb over the top. "Hey, everything will be okay. Your dad will be mad, but I think he will understand what you did."

"My dad doesn't understand anything."

"He would once he sees what you're doing."

"I guess. But we aren't doing anything besides sitting here. There is no way out of this room unless someone opens the door."

The cries of whales continued. My heart breaks into tiny pieces.

"They can't leave us in here, Ashley. Eventually they have to let us go. When my dad arrives, he will make sure Isshi releases us."

"What do you think they will do to us?"

"Nothing. They will free us once they're finished doing what they're doing. They know the slaughtering is wrong, but they have no feelings. All they see is the dollar signs." Ryan pulls me into his lap. "Come here, Ash. I promise you that everything will be alright. We will get out of here soon."

He gives me a kiss on his forehead, and then wraps one arm around me while with his other hand he strokes it gently through my hair. We sit like that for a while until the lock on the door unclicks.

Ryan and I stood on our feet as the door swings open. The two men who put us down here earlier walks down the stairs. They say something in Japanese and then grab us, dragging us up the stairs to the deck.

"It's good to see you again," Isshi says where we brought to the front of the boat. Kishi stands by her father.

As soon as we are close to him, Ryan spits in his face. Isshi wipes away the spit and then leans in closer to Ryan.

"Did your parents ever teach you that spitting at people is wrong?" he asks.

"Did your parents teach you that what you're doing with these whales is wrong?" Ryan spat out.

Isshi laughs and stands up straight, walking over to the railing, glancing at the sea. "My crew has informed me that there is a Bottlenose dolphin swimming around here." He turns to face us. "Do you have any idea where the dolphin is? I saw it last swimming beside your boat."

"Why should I tell you?"

"If you don't tell me, then Kishi will."

"I'm not going to tell you where you can find her. You're not going anywhere near Cleo. All you are going to do is stop this whaling hunt."

"I see you have made your choice." Isshi turns to Kishi. "Kishi, tell me where to find that dolphin friend of theirs."

Kishi glances at us with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry you guys."

I shake my head. "No, Kishi. Don't tell him. You can stop him from doing this."

"I'm sorry, but he is making me do this. He has threatened to cut off my mother and me if I don't say where Cleo is."

"Don't say a word, Kishi!" Ryan begs.