Chapter 16

I was worried Dad would say something about the dreamily look I had on my face when I walked through the door. I imagine him panicking, unsure what to do about me dating. He might change his mind about Taiji, but it's not like anything will happen between us while we are there.

But instead of finding dad sitting in the lounge room, Kelly was on the couch watching something on the television. I hadn't even taken any notice that her car was in the driveway. She looks up at me and smile.

"Hey, Ashley. How was the party?"

I smile, hoping it wasn't too goofy. Would she know Ryan and I had kissed? "It was great. I had a very good time." I glance around for Dad. "Where's my dad?"

"He went to bed. I told him I will wait for you." She grabs the remote beside her, and switch off the TV. She then turns to me with a smile. "So, he kissed you?"

I didn't question Kelly on how she had guess, but the goofy smile was definitely the giveaway, and I'm glad it's Kelly that has found out first before Dad did. I'm still worried how he would react.

Kelly pats the couch beside her, and I sit down beside her, ready to tell her everything about the kiss. I imagine talking to Mum about my first kiss, and all of the other firsts that are a huge milestone of your life, but unfortunately I don't get to share those conversations with her. Kelly may not be my mother, but at least she was willing to sit and chat about what my mother and I would talk about.

Kelly and I stay up talking about Ryan, the kiss and how I felt about him. When I go to bed later with the smile planted across my face, I find a text from Ryan wishing me a goodnight.

🐬

I lie awake, not being able to sleep after being kissed by Ryan. I was too happy to sleep. Each time I closed my eyes I could feel his arms around me and his lips against mine. When I wake up I felt this distance between us wanting to feel his lips on mine. I wonder if Ryan felt the same way.

After spending the night tossing and turning, I was thankful when it was finally six o'clock. I would sleep in to catch up on the sleep I have missed, but what was the point in trying to sleep when I couldn't?

I lie there in bed, my body not quite ready to get up. I listen to the Kookaburras laugh and other birds chirping so early in the morning as the sun rises. I hear the sliding glass door open and closed, follow by Dad's footsteps on the back deck.

My phone vibrates on the bedside table. I roll over, stretching out my arm to reach for it to see who was messaging me so early in the morning. My face lights up like a Christmas tree when I see Ryan's name on the screen, my heart leaping for joy.

Good morning, Ash. I'm heading down to the beach soon to see Cleo. Shall I see you there?

I sit up, smiling, typing. Yes! See you soon.

Ryan replies swiftly. Great. He inserts a smiley emoji at the end of the word.

I get out of bed and head to the bathroom to shower, instantly forgetting how tired I was from the night before. Lately I stand in my room, spending ten minutes on what I should wear. It was a cool morning so I put on black tights and a denim jacket.

Kelly was out on the back verandah, sitting with Dad with a small table with a glass top between them where two cups of streaming coffee were. Surprising Dad's easel wasn't out like it usually is on the weekend mornings.

The two of them greet me when I walked out.

"How was the party last night?" Dad asks, giving me a hug. "Sorry for not being awake when you returned. I was exhausted."