Chapter 2: Nishiba

Start from the beginning

"There we go! Once you're fully awakened it is time to go for a tour of the castle!" The strange man said with excitement. A castle? Where the hell am I?  I pulled myself up into an upright position on the bed, shaking.

"A-a castle?" I stuttered in confusion, my voice shaky from fear. Even his enthusiasm didn't shake the fear away. How could it?

"We are on Nishiba Island. We all live within or around the castle, except those," he paused briefly thinking while looking at the ceiling, "who chose different paths." 

"Nishiba?" Where the hell was that? He shrugged, standing at the door patiently.

"I don't want to overwhelm you with too much right now," he said softly. 

Remembering back to what Zayden had said earlier. This man must be Ryuu. He was definitely built differently then Zayden. His hair sleek and black while his eyes were green and almond shaped. He had mixed features, part Asian and part something else. His skin tone was a dark tan over his muscular, stocky, build. He wasn't a tall man but definitely a couple inches taller than me.

"You must be Ryuu?" I asked, my voice becoming more stable despite the fear that was pulsing through my veins. He looked up at me with a big smile.

"Why yes! I apologize for not introducing myself, I am terrible at introductions. So I've been told. My name is Ryuu. I will be your mentor from now on. Zayden will also look after you but he has many duties to attend to. I am Zayden's right-hand man, we will both make sure you remain safe." Ryuu paused briefly catching his breath. His expression was very focused like he was trying to remember everything he needed to tell me.

"As your mentor, I will start by giving you a tour of the castle and giving you some history and background information. I think that is plenty for a first day, yes?" He asked. Staring at me with a delighted face.

"Why? What do you want from me?" I asked fearfully with a hint of furiousness that found it's way seeping through my voice.

"We want you to learn our ways," he said nonchalantly.

"Why? That makes no sense," I argued. I wanted the truth, and he was acting suspiciously.

"I really think it would be wise to tell you later. If you must know though, you are a relative to one of the most honored people who use to live here. Err... I am not supposed to say much but let's just put a long story, short. You are of royal blood from here," his voice soft.

Royal blood? No way. I tried letting it sink in. I did recall in my father's journal something of the child they adopted was from royalty. Chills crept up my skin, it couldn't be true. They were just stories.

"Any questions before we begin?" Ryuuo asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glanced up at him.

"Just... what about my cat? Aaylah?" I asked, fearing the answer as my heart started beating faster. My palms began sweating as I prepared for my heart to be shattered.

"Not to worry Lillith. We brought your cat here and she has been given very good care," he said softly. I exhaled deeply, relieved and happy she was safe.

"Oh! Thank you so much for bringing her here," I said with relief, "can I see her?" If anything could make me feel better and a little safer, it was Aaylah.

"You will be able to after our tour. Let's begin, follow me," Ryuu stated, turning around and walking out.

I got up and followed him out of the room. The hallway was narrow but lit with lanterns. We turned a corner and start walking up some stairs. Going through some big doors built from stone and wood. They had symbols all around the door, of men and wolves. I stared at them in awe.