Chapter eleven: the confession

❀~~~~❀~~~~❀~~~~❀

Naruko 

Ⓘ looked up and saw Kiba looking at me worriedly.

"Oh, Kiba. Hey," I muttered and he ran up to me and breathed out in relief.

"I worried about you," he stated whilst breathing heavily. It looked like he'd been running for a while.

"Sorry for worrying you," I apologised and he gave me a smile.

"Don't worry about it. I'll walk you home," he said and stepped beside me. We started walking and all I could hear was Kiba's heavy breathing and my own.

"Just ask already. I know you want to know," I muttered as I noticed his glances.

"Y - you sure? I mean, I don't have to - "

"It's okay Kiba. I'm not mad. Just...thinking."

He nodded slowly and waited a moment. "So, why was that guy taking you away anyways?" he asked and we finally arrived to my home.

"He just needed to talk. Like, right away. I'm sorry it took so long," I lied. I didn't feel like telling Kiba these unnecessary details when it wasn't needed. He nodded as he understood and he stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do, and neither did I.

"I... I have to tell you something Naruko-chan. I - I don't really know how to say this and I've waited for a pretty long time," he started and blushed a lot. Was he going to do what I thought he was doing? "I really like you. I've liked you since we were kids. Since we were in the academy. I've always admired you. I really care for you and I promise I'll protect you no matter what happens or who'll dare to hurt you."

He was really sweating and stuttered nervously. His whole face was red and his eyes were full of hope. I was staring at him with wide eyes and thought for a moment, not knowing how to answer. I'd never been in this kind of position where someone confessed to me, and I surely didn't know how I felt about him. I'd always seen him as a friend.

"Thank you, Kiba. Thank you for having such sweet feelings for me, I really appreciate that," I started and gave more thought on what next to say. "I'm - I'm sorry. I don't see you in that way. I've always thought of you as a good friend. I just can't really imagine us being a couple, you know? I'm really sorry." It was heartbreaking to watch his face whilst telling him this. He didn't tear his gaze away from; I could see a hint of tears, so I tried to give him a soft smile, but it came out as a fake one. He didn't smile one bit.

"Is there someone else that you like?" he suddenly asked, which shocked me, but I thought for a moment and nodded slowly and stared down at my feet. "I understand, but I won't give up." I gave him a questioning look and he was smiling slightly; the smile was obviously fake.

We stood there in an awkward silence for a bit until I build up some courage to talk. "You okay Kiba?"

He nodded slowly, but I still saw that he was sad. I had no idea he liked me that much. I regret turning him down, but I wouldn't be honest and I wouldn't really be happy if I had told him I liked him back. I fancied someone else. I'd just follow my gut feeling and it'd lead me somewhere, I hoped.

"See you," he muttered and added a small wave. I waved back and he walked away. I opened the door and stepped inside. Naruto was surprisingly not home. I'm used to getting home late and Naruto would be here to scold me.

"Naruto?" I called through the apartment, but I got no answer. The only sound was the wind outside. "I wonder where he is," I muttered to myself.

"You're late," said a sudden husky voice, which startled me and made me jump. I quickly turned around and saw a shadow standing in the corner of the dark rooms. I shakily turned on the lights and breathed out in relief when I realised whom it was.