Chapter 7

The old "Kool Kent" was back. After yesterday's little "act" by Ms. Simmons, which led to Kent talking to the girl from the game, Kent has been the happiest person ever. He just goes everywhere with this huge, goofy smile on his face. Just last week, Kent was his usual cool and collected self. Never gave any girl the time of day. Now, he's willing to give his whole day to this one girl.

          Kent and his family had decided to go out to eat Thursday night. Once Kent's dad had finally made it home, they all got dressed. They ended up waiting for Cal, who was invited by Kent at the last minute. When Cal had finally showed up, everyone packed into Kent's mom's van and they made their way to the new restaurant that Kent's mom worked at.

-

As they all made their way into their seats, Cal started to notice Kent's usual peppy behavior.

"What's gotten into you?" Cal asked as he sat right beside Kent.

"Nothing man," Kent said trying to hide his goofy smile.

"You've been acting weird since yesterday. Did something happen?"

"Well...you know how I said I was going to ask that girl to the dance?"

"What girl? Ashley?" Kent's mom asked.

"Jesus no," Kent said as him and Cal both started laughing.

"What's funny?"

"Oh nothing," Kent said wiping the tears from his eye. "But anyway. I asked her yesterday."

"And?" Cal asked.

"She said no," the smiling Kent said.

Everyone looked around at each other with a confused look on their face.

"sooo...why are you so happy?" Cal finally asked.

"Because she wanted to go out to eat instead."

"Oh I see," Cal said leaning back in his chair.

Cal threw his hand on Kent's shoulder.

"Well I hate that you won't be at the dance, but I'm glad that you're finally starting to open up a little."

"Me too," Kent's mom added. "You deserve the world kid. I hope this young girl is as amazing as you say she is."

"I think she is." Kent replied.

The waitress came to the table with everyone's drink and Cal stood up with his glass.

"To my brother and his hopeful new found love."

The fact that Cal uses the word "love" bothered Kent. He didn't think about things making it that far, and he didn't want to think about it. He may have started to open up a little, but his scars are far from healed. Nevertheless, Kent didn't want to ruin the moment, so he didn't say anything.

All the cups clattered, and everyone took a sip of their drink.

"Kent has a girlfriend! Kent has a girlfriend!" Miyah chanted.

Everyone laughed.

"Maybe one day," Kent said.

There was a second waitress who came with all of the food. They had prepared the food so fast that Kent's dad checked everything to make sure it was properly prepared. It was.

As the night went on, the weather outside became more and more harsh. The wind was picking up, and it was pouring down rain. As soon as everyone had finished their meals, Kent's dad called for and paid the check. The family then made their way to the van, and hurried home. Cal would stay the night just so that his mom wouldn't have to drive in the rain to come get him.