Chapter 8

Today's the big day. It was the day of the homecoming dance, but while everyone was running around town getting there last few homecoming errands done, Kent was home getting ready for his little "date." That's what his mom called it anyway.

Cal had stopped by the house before heading over to the school. His mom had let him drive her truck to the dance. He stepped out and walked over to the passenger door where he guided his date out of the truck. It was Tiffany Stevens. She was a girl that you probably wouldn't notice. She liked to stay to herself, but she's one of the coolest people you'll ever meet.
The two walked up to the door and Kent met them at the door.

"You looking sharper than a butter knife my guy!" Kent joked.

"Very funny," Cal said laughing.

"You guy's really look great."

"Thanks man. I see you freshened up a little yourself."

Kent had on a nice white sweater, light blue jeans, and some white shoes.

"Thanks bro. I just texted her, and I'm waiting on her to reply before I head out."

"Sounds good," Cal said. "Well me and Tiffany are about to be on our way. I'm sure you'll get home before I do so hit me up when you make it in."

"Will do," Kent said as the two walked off and entered the truck.

It was now around 7:30 p.m.. Kent went back inside and sat at the kitchen counter. He sat there on his phone waiting for a reply from the girl saying that she was ready.

-

It's 8:32 p.m. now. Kent's dad had left to go to the dance about 30 minutes ago. Kent was watching TV in the living room. He wasn't worried too much. He knows how girls are when it comes to getting themselves ready, so he just continues watching TV.

-

9:30 p.m. came and Kent started getting worried. He texted her phone a second time and laid it on the arm of the sofa. He tried to relax by changing the TV to the ESPN channel and watching some basketball highlights.

-

It's 10:43 p.m.. Kent was starting to get this heavy feeling in his chest. That feeling you got as a kid when you didn't get the present you wanted for Christmas. He just started thinking about everything. Kent has always been the type to overthink things, but it was only a side effect of the damage done in his past relationship. He tried calling her, but there was no answer. He threw the phone to the side and laid down across the sofa.

-

By 12:01 a.m., The fully dressed Kent had fallen asleep on the couch with dried up trails of tears down the side of his face. He had a few texts from his mom, who had Miyah with her, and a text from Cal, but not one from the girl.

Miyah and Kent's mom walked through the door and as Kent's mom went over to turn the TV off, she saw Kent laid out across the sofa. She nudged him until he woke up.

"Why didn't you change clothes and get in bed when you got home?"

Kent didn't say anything. He wiped the dried trail of tears from the side of his face, and he slowly stood up and made his way upstairs to his room.

When he had walked in, Kent stripped down to his boxers and got in his bed. He couldn't go back to sleep. All he could do is lie there looking outside his window with more tears flooding his eyes.

From the very beginning, Kent understood the risk he was taking by letting his heart lead his actions. He knew that by letting himself give in to his feelings, that he would be making himself more vulnerable. However, he was still willing to take such a high risk on the hunch that she was different. He never understood why he felt such a way towards someone he barely even knows, but yet he was confident in the feeling she gave him. To Kent, she was worth the risk.