Garrett brushed the crumbs off his shirt when they approached. His green eyes met Heidi's but skittered away when Timothy draped a beefy arm around her neck.

"Is it true, Delko?" Timothy asked with his signature sneer.

"What? That you can't get a ball in the net to save your life?" Garrett joked. It was well known the basketball team was ranked second to last in the league.

"That your brother is a fag."

Garrett stilled. "What?"

"Heard he's gone all hormonal over his best friend."

"Where did you hear that?"

"From my older brother, Rex. He said Matty Patinkin found your bro's journal—which hello, should have been the first clue—and inside was a bunch of love letters to Lincoln. That's his best friend right?"

Garrett's body flushed hot, then cold. "Matty Patinkin is a filthy liar. And so is your brother. Everyone knows he's jealous because Spencer beat him out for junior class president."

Timothy turned beet red. "Your brother cheated."

"Keep telling yourself that. And stop spreading lies about Spencer."

"Too late. It's all over school."

Garrett looked up to find the whole cafeteria watching them like a wrestling match on WWE. His chair squeaked against the linoleum floor as he quickly stood and grabbed his things. He had to find Spencer. They needed to sort this mess out and punish whoever started these rumors.

"If you're looking for your brother he's not here. I heard he went home after crying his eyes out in the girl's bathroom."

Garrett lunged as Timothy gave a mocking laugh. His fists curled around the lapels of Timothy's jacket as the muscle in Garrett's jaw pulsed with anger.

"What are you gonna do, Delko? Punch me for telling like it is? Go ahead," Timothy urged. "I dare you, but I bet you don't have the guts to do it. Gonna wimp out just like your brother."

The taunt combined with the jeers of the students lit Garrett's already short fuse. Anger flowing through him, he cocked his fist back, ready to show Timothy just how much of a wimp he was when out of the corner of his eye, he caught Heidi cowering behind her backpack. He felt like a monster as her expression grew fearful. Ignoring the smug look on Timothy's face, he released Timothy and stepped back.

"I knew it," Timothy crowed. He raised his voice so even the kids in the far corner could hear. "Guess both Delko's don't have it in them to be anything but snowflakes."

Later that day, Garrett barged into Spencer's room, ignoring the sharp, "Hey!" He opened his mouth to blast Spencer for the cluster fuck at school, but the misery painted on Spencer's face stopped him cold.

Holy shit. It was true.

Why had Spencer kept it a secret from him? He wouldn't have cared. He liked Lincoln. He was one of Spencer's few friends who included him in things instead of treating him like a pesky younger brother. And yeah, it was a little weird to know Spencer was gay, but he'd get over the weirdness. However being out of the loop and hearing it from someone like Timothy? That stung.

Spencer looked up from his place on the rug. The sheen in his jade eyes contrasted with the back-off vibes of his words. "Tell Mom I have a project to work on and won't be down for dinner."

"Sure, you got it." He lingered in the doorway. Should he say something?

"Shut the door behind you," Spencer added.