XII

". . .trial."

    Adria sat on the sun lounge in Keith's office as he read the tabloid. For a week straight, the papers had printed nothing but WINGS OF FURY; CADET MAIMS INTERIOR BRIGADE, the only thing saving her reputation so far was the laws against visual publication of Adria's image.

      Leo and Graham shared their breakfast against Keith's bookshelf while Erwin and Viktor sipped at mugs of coffee. Adria's appetite was the furthest from her mind, she raised both knees to her chest and averted her eyes out the window.

     "Nile Dok wants you to take the stand," Keith repeated. "The Commission granted him the right to warrant your arrest. The scenario may have occurred out of their jurisdiction but you severely hurt those men."

      "To be fair," Graham commented with a mouth full of toast. "Adria defended those women; no matter what the circumstance we should not tolerate rape."

       "They won't take that into account after what they saw," Viktor grimaced. "By activating her mutation, the Military Police are going to use it to discredit Adria and the capability that the Survey Corps has to maintain Shifters."

       "And if Nile knows about Neal's botched execution the Survey Corps is going to be under a lot of speculation," Erwin bit his knuckles. "In Adria's defence, Zackley knows that she poses no threat and could take the rape into consideration. However, he will have bias if word does spread about Hanji's plan."

     "Then we lie," Adria clenched her fist over her knee. "Say that the scouts handed Neal over for execution and that was the end of it, we could enhance speculation that the Saints of Maria infiltrated the proceedings to ensure his safety and that he's gone off the grid. But if Nile wants to take me to court then I won't object—I'll ruin him in front of the government."

      Leo and Graham shared a look, "Adria are you sure you're mentally stable to stand trial and be publicised across the nation? Your Mum was raped. . .don't you need some time to get a proper evaluation?"

      Her eyes, once lit with violent determination, glanced at Leo with a hollow emptiness enhanced by her slack movements. Leo swallowed and averted his eyes, putting his attention backed to his shared meal. Adria wished she could find her voice which commanded Erwin and Mike to fight for her instead of against Viktor, but the exhaustion had taken over and constricted her ribs.

      "I watched my uncle get eaten by a Titan, I've been in an unwilling incestuous relationship with my cousin, witnessed my mother's prostitution since adolescence, stood by and watch men get slaughtered. . .if I can desensitise myself from that, I can cope with viewing a sexual assault," she twirled a strand of her floss coloured hair and sighed. "I'll go alone if need be, but send a telegram to Hanji as well. . .they need to know."

      Keith templed his fingers, "You aren't heading to the capital alone, I intend on being there as your Commander. I will send word to Hanji and Neal of the events, but if you're sure about shirt fronting Nile you must realise that in Sheena there are no Survey Corps—we are viewed as barbarians for what we do, if Nile wants to make a show of you which I guarantee he will, you must be prepared for the worst."

      "They won't touch her, right guys?" Viktor's lip twitched at his two comrades which nodded in agreement.

      A faint smirk spread across her lips, "I like an audience."

* * *

       Without much deliberation, it was decided that Erwin, Keith, Viktor, Graham and Leo would act as Adria's protection detail whilst Mike maintained command at HQ. Keith had predicted the uproar in Sheena, all green capes were ridiculed on site—since the inhabitants of Wall Sheena were above wasting food to smear the Wings of Freedom, the civilians believed that words would have the same effect.