X

Keith's intended promise extended to the night; the assorted Survey Corps lounged around the town in differing states of relaxation. The veterans slept in canvas pouches by the stables, still strapped in their gear whilst Leo and Graham retreated to their homes for a moment of peace.

      Adria lay asleep at the base of Viktor's feet on the fortification next to Susanne. Since Hana held no fear of Titans the rest of the wall remained bare of soldiers, only the braziers were lit, providing spheres of orange to illuminate their surroundings. Viktor averted his eyes when Susanne brushed her fingertips over Adria's bound knuckles.

      "She tried to hurt herself?"

      "I got hungry," Viktor gave an off-shoulder shrug.

        Surprisingly, Susanne made no further comment. Though, her face became closed off at the thought of Viktor's ever-present hunger for flesh; she knew of his mutation but couldn't comprehend the psychological urge for violence. She scratched her harness-free knees and sighed.

       "I didn't know life here was so different compared to the Walls, don't get me wrong I adore the Garrison but this state of bliss has got me on edge. I worked in the fields all of my life and only now am I starting to realise that there's more to life than seasonal harvest," Susanne rested her chin in her hands. "The people know of Titans. . .but they've gone so long without seeing one that it's become folklore. Sort of like the situation in Maria, people don't have direct exposure to the outside."

      Viktor pulled a chunk of brick that'd been an off-cut and tossed it in his palm, "Story time or not, I don't get why this wall is half the size of those in the main district and constructed of such weak material."

      "That's the thing, we don't know how the interior Walls were built. They're reinforced with some sort of resin or protectant that we don't have access to. Maybe our ancestors mined it out, who knows? The reason for our supply shortage is because Hana doesn't want to be militarised, it was hard enough bringing gas and blades to the Vanguard here," she said. "You might not be a true Hana resident but we have a certain way of doing things here, and using force isn't one of them."

      Viktor tossed the chunk of rock across the edge, noting how the piece echoed on its descent to the grass below. The air was stagnant and the moon provided a dim glow to his surroundings, but even with narrowed vision, Viktor struggled to see past the gate.

      Brant swung through the trees as if it were second nature, dwarfing his rear guard. Erwin struggled to keep up even on horseback, unlike the other sections of dense forest, the aptly named 'Titan Forest' harboured wider paths for all modes of transport to pass through. Oddly, Brant decided to use air as his medium rather than continue on his stallion. Erwin clutched the reigns of Brant's horse tight as the two other men shared worrying looks for their Commander.

      The only noise that echoed were from the horseshoes against the parched earth and the hiss from Brant's gear, though, within a split second of their Commander raising his arm in warning, a swarm of Titan's burst from the left sideall abnormal class.

      In haste, the three guards shot from their horses and into the canopy for cover. They all suspended just out of the Titan's reach while Brant circled around the thick trunk of the furthest redwood. He never lost his composure, and Erwin was positive he'd never seen Brant falter in his movements.

      "You lot stay there, the more of these things I kill, the better off my child will be," Brant withdrew a fresh set of swords and with eloquent speed, slashed the ankles of the first shaking abnormal. As the Titan collapsed onto its knees, Brant flung himself towards the nape and articulated the deepest incision Erwin had ever witnessed.