Without pausing, Brant clenched his knuckles around the mechanisms and used one of the highest branches as a foot hold. He didn't utilise the gas and used the momentum of his descent to spin against the second neck. Erwin noticed the sweat collect on Brant's sun-warmed brow when the third abnormal gnashed its jaws at him, attempting to tear bark off with its flat molars.

      A spark of light emanated from Brant, which Erwin caught in his peripheral. A manic fever settled over Brant, adding a frightening intensity to his strikes. He extended his wrist as if swatting a fly, yet had enough force to decapitate the Titan.

      Brant's streak was soon to run out. There was a rumble in the distance, enough to cause smaller saplings to split in half. Erwin dug his blades into the trunk to stop himself from falling to the ground, his comrades hanging limply at the mercy of what was to come.

      Brant swiped a string of saliva from his bottom lip and tipped his head, "Erwin Smith, promise me you'll look after my baby. Whether it be a boy, groom him to surpass Keith and I within his first year of training, and if it's a girl. . .treat her like a queenonly allow her to speak to the best of men. Though, neither should never know of my sacrifice, I end up like the rest."

      "Commander!" shouted Lance.

      Erwin crouched, dumbfound. All he could muster was a singular nod as Brant shot from his steadfast towards the noise. Before the monster could be seen, Brant released a canister of dark smoke to act as a feeble barrier for retreat. Erwin could barely move, Lance pulled on his elbow to set him in motion. And as Brant's arms disappeared in the furl of black, Erwin could see a pair of golden eyes blink back.

      Adria rolled onto her side, directly into Viktor's shoe. The sole of his boot pressed against her forehead, causing Adria to groan and turn over. His snide snicker was enough for Adria to pop her collar and nuzzle back into the depleting warmth of her jacket. Her head was fuzzy and no matter how slow she tried to breathe, it wouldn't grant her mind clarity.

      "Morning sunshine," Susanne grinned, ruffling Adria's blades. 

      "Ugh," Adria winced when she put pressure against her bound knuckles.

       Viktor's lips turned down, "Usually your wounds heal within two hours."

      "My abilities are different from yours," Adria clipped. "And besides, I haven't needed to activate my Yelts ancestry. I can't rely on it, just like you can't hedge your bets on a Titan form."

      Susanne shivered as the atmosphere gained a sharp sting from the uncomfortable topic but she chose to say nothing. Instead, she gave a loud yawn and stretched, "I think I might retire for the time being, considering tonight's been quieter than a mouse."

      Adria watched Susanne jump down the ladder and head across the square to her quarters. She was right, nothing stirred during the night but Adria knew that in this lifetime, something was always on the move.

      "Viktor," Adria rolled her shoulders back and ground her toes into the wall. "Get the horses."

      His almond eyes narrowed, "Why. . .what do you sense?"

      Adria's quads tensed as she stared out at the horizon, wrapping herself tighter in the coat. No vibrations alerted her to Titans and she felt no spark of adrenaline like she had done earlier. But the nagging feeling in her gut remained, with her left hand she withdrew a blade and winced when she attempted to move her right.

      Viktor gripped her wrist just above the bandage, "Swallow your pride for once and let me handle it if there's any trouble. Tell me what to do and I'll execute your orders."