[ night / keith x reader ]

oneshot: blade of marmora! keith x reader [mid season 4]

notes: dreamworks im starving, feed me keith content. if you want things done, guess you gotta do it yourself.

words: 721

----

You held the phone tentatively in your hands, wondering if he'd pick up this time. He promised you that the two of you would be able to call this night, he can't just back out, right? You sat on your bed as your back touched the wall, anxiously waiting for him to pick up. The fairy lights hung around your room gave it a homey feel—although it could never compare to the true feeling of warmth back on Earth.

The soft ringing of the tablet filled the empty air, it was way different from the phones on Earth. Intergalactic devices were an amusing challenge to you, finding out the way they worked, improving it, and seeing how your could use it to your advantage was a nice hobby for your tinkering mind.

Things between you and Keith had been. . . slow, to say the least. Talks became shorter, the forlorning became stronger, and your feelings grew lonely. God, you just weren't sure how people in long distance relationships could do it. But you were ready to wait a war for your beloved to return.

Your eyes lit up excitedly when the call had went through, Keith's small baby face appearing on the screen. "Hey," You spoke with a smile. He smiled back, "Hey [Name]."

"Sorry we missed your birthday. I feel so bad about it," You sighed, but the smile never did quite leave your face. "Actually, the Blade of Marmora celebrated my birthday with me. Didn't know cake could taste so good. Anyways, how's your work with Coran?" He inquired, curious about your day..

You paused, pondering your choice of wording, "It's. . . okay?" You answered, although it sounded more like a question. "Since Allura is the Blue Paladin now, I have to step up and take Coran's role while he fills in for Allura. The Castle's weapon system is a lot bigger than you'd think!"

"The Blade of Marmora and I have gathered some amazing intel. I can try to set up an arrangement where we can meet, exchange info and have some time to ourselves, too," He proposed, causing your eyes to widen. "Really?" You asked happily, to which he replied with a nod.

"Coran's been teaching me and Hunk the ways of a diplomat, maybe I could help," You mused, your smile widened even further. You enjoyed spending time with the one you loved, but with only phone calls it gets lonely.

"I miss you, you know," You finally said, exposing the elephant in the room. "I miss you too, [Name], but the Blade of Marmora need me," He tried to speak, before you cut him off. "I need you! Team Voltron needs you! It's so lonely here without you, I'm lonely," You trailed off, staring to the side dejectedly.

His face softened, then a determined look crossed his eyes, "Just wait for me, alright? I'll come back to you, after all this over, after all this is over, I'll come back. I promise."

"You better introduce me to them then," You demanded lightheartedly. He rolled his eyes, "I guess I'll have to promise that too. I love you, [Name]."

A soft yawn found it's way out your lips, "I love you too, Keith. Don't do anything dumb and get yourself killed, I'll bring you back to Earth then send you back to heaven for breaking your promise."

He laughed, "Get some sleep, [Name]. You're tired, I can tell," He ordered, to which you refused. "I, [Name] [Last Name], am in no way tired," You tried to dismiss. "But what about that yawn a couple seconds ago?" He pointed out with a smirk, you shook your head.

"Nope. No yawn here. Only time with my boyfriend."

"Go to sleep, I'll talk to Kolivan about our meeting in the morning."

"Fine!" You begrudgingly accepted. "I love you," He cooed once more. "You already said that already, dumb dumb," You responded carelessly, rubbing your tired eyes. "Just wanted to make sure you knew," He confessed.

"I'd wait for a war for you," You mumbled. "So would I, good night." Keith bid farewell and the call ended. You turned the orange tablet off, clapping your hands so that the fairy lights would go out. Alien technology was fascinating.

You laid on your bed, imagining Keith's warmth besides you once more, "Good night."